• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 2: Rabbitohs vs Panthers

Callmack1

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, time flies in Rugby League sometimes and just like that, Round 1 is over and it's time to switch focus and look towards Round 2. Things don't get any easier for us as we're on the road again, this time facing an even more daunting task as we take on the defending back-to-back Premiers, the Panthers at their home ground. There's no two ways about it, this is a huge clash and a huge test.

It's no secret that I hate Penrith, I've made that pretty clear over the past couple of years. In fact, it's getting to the point where I dislike them almost as much as the Roosters and that's saying something. I'm sure their fans would probably say the same about us too. Just their arrogance, cockiness and self-entitlement, I hate it. I'm sick to death of them walking all over us too, I'm sick of them being so much better than us. We've bet them once since ANZAC Round in 2019, that's once in about four years, so that's an abysmal record. Not to mention the last three years, they've got us in the Prelim or GF. I'm absolutely sick of it and it's time we turned the tables this week.

No doubt that we are a chance this week. The way the Panthers have started the year, I do think they look a little vulnerable at the moment. They've lost some key players and their form has suffered as a result. It's just the early-Season jitters for them though as things take a bit of time to adjust. We need to be aware that they will click sometime soon, it could even be this week. When that happens, they'll be the same old Penrith that we know and hate and that's what we need to prepare for this week. It's gonna be a huge test. The Charity Shield and Round 1 have been great but this game right here, this week, will really show us where we're at. They might be missing a couple from last year but when they click, they're still one of the best teams in the comp with strike everywhere you look. I don't quite know how to stop it so JD and thee coaching staff will have to come up with something good.

For us, it's about improving and building on the weekend just gone. We were pretty good but pretty good isn't going to cut it against this mob, one of our biggest rivals. We'll need to be a lot better if we want to be even a chance of winning. We can't afford to make the errors we did against Cronulla as that will basically hand them the win, they're far too good a side to not take advantage of that. Secondly, we do need to keep improving in defence, particularly out wide. They're the two main areas of focus for us. Cleary will try pick us apart and kick us to death as he has so many friggin times over the years but our boys have gotta stand up and not let that happen. This is what this week, this game is all about, standing up and saying "enough is enough." As I said I'm sick of them walking all over us. I don't want to see the boys go out there and play nice, that's not how you beat the Panthers. Get down and dirty with them, niggle the crap out of them, show aggression, stand up and be counted!!!!

We have a chance for some form of redemption in Round 2 and make a huge statement along the way. Can the boys do it? That's up to them. Against one of our biggest rivals in recent years, genuine dislike between the two sides, it should be a cracker and I for one can't wait to sink my teeth into these pricks! Come on Souths!!!!

Just wondering with a short turn around and home ground advantage will the impartial NRL download Grant Atkins on us too?
Not suggesting that there is any bias in the game but as we all can see the Chooks are certainly well deserved favourites! as evidenced yesterday!
The mind boggles!
btw well said Callmack
PS
Well I never the powers that be have granted us the presence of Grant Atkins on Thursday night.
The Penrith ref is bound to bring his best shots to assist the Piss Ants to win!
I know there are people on here who believe it is impossible for the game to have any prejudice or malpractice but the ref Keith Page who presided over the 69 GF was a joke also Grant Atkins is bent!

Last edited:
Another tough match for the start of our season.

I assume that neither Tatola or Arrow will be available so hopefully Host and Sele will be.

We have a very tough start to the season and a short turn around (from memory we don't have too many) but getting them early in the season when we are still relatively fresh is a bit of a bonus. We'll be missing Tatola and Arrow but hopefully Sele or Host will be back.

The Panthers certainly didn't look like two times premiers but they get another home match to redeem themselves. I expect them to come out determined to make amends.

I thought our three (remaining) props played brilliantly on Saturday night - Tom led the way but Davvy and Shaq were tremendous. And full marks to the back rowers who each played 80 minutes.

Cody was quiet but he'll be primed for a big one against the Panthers.

Cheers

We have a very tough start to the season and a short turn around (from memory we don't have too many) but getting them early in the season when we are still relatively fresh is a bit of a bonus. We'll be missing Tatola and Arrow but hopefully Sele or Host will be back.

The Panthers certainly didn't look like two times premiers but they get another home match to redeem themselves. I expect them to come out determined to make amends.

I thought our three (remaining) props played brilliantly on Saturday night - Tom led the way but Davvy and Shaq were tremendous. And full marks to the back rowers who each played 80 minutes.

Cody was quiet but he'll be primed for a big one against the Panthers.

Cheers
Souths have the toughest start to the season of any team

(Sharks (A)
Panthers (A)
Roosters (A)
Manly (H)
Melbourne (H)
Bulldogs (A)
Dolphins (A)
Penrith (H)
Broncos (A)
Melbourne (A)

Potentially missing:

8. Tevita Tatola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Hame Sele
11. Jacob Host
12. Jai Arrow
13. Liam Knight

That's a lot of forward outs. Going to be hard to beat Penrith if they're all missing.
Do you know when Sele and Host are back?

This week's injury report could be very interesting.

Do you know when Sele and Host are back?
NRL.com has them listed as back for round 3.

BunniesTV said DSF played ok in reggies but nothing special but he will have to come in if everyone yobbo84 has in his list is ruled out.

Jed can also come in on the bench to cover back row and centre but serious question is will he last a game without suffering another major injury.

Worst case scenario forward pack and bench is:-

Moale
Cook
DSF
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Mitchell
Burgess
Cartwright
Taafe

Lovett
Milne

Tough start? Sure. But, I see it as an opportunity to get ahead and set our season up and I'm sure the team and coaching staff do too. Especially now that we've accounted for one top 4 rival in round 1. The Panthers look gettable and we look hungry. The opportunity is there for us to bank some big wins against big sides early and be in the box seat to stay at or near the top of the competition ladder as the season unfolds and the draw gets friendlier.

Big, big opportunity to go 2-0 and be 2 wins ahead of the reigning premiers.

Next man up mentality and the hunger is there. Got to defend those edges better though.

Worst case scenario forward pack and bench is:-

Moale
Cook
DSF
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Mitchell
Burgess
Cartwright
Taafe

Lovett
Milne
Horses for courses suggests that we don't play Taaffe when there is a forwards shortage. Cartwright can cover the backs so we play Lovett on the bench instead. Or Milne.

Horses for courses suggests that we don't play Taaffe when there is a forwards shortage. Cartwright can cover the backs so we play Lovett on the bench instead. Or Milne.
But we also have a question mark on Lattrell.

And did AJ suffer a hand injury during the game?

Back