• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Pathways: Finals Week 2

RabbitJ

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Please post all discussion here related to the clash against the North Sydney Bears.

Anybody know eligibility rules? Will be interesting to see if Milne/Moale/Shaq/ Duncan are allowed to play

I’m sure Duncan and Shaq should be eligible. Don’t think the other 2 are though.

I was a bit disappointed with Shaq's performance in the top grade in the last few weeks but he's big body in the State Cup and will do well. I think Duncan will be the star of the pack - he really looked good in the NRL side. Is DSF injured? Taaffe will be out with his HIA.

But it will be a very strong team.

Cheers

I’m sure Duncan and Shaq should be eligible. Don’t think the other 2 are though.
Milne should be too. Only because he played last week in the first week of finals.

Not sure on Moale.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs' NSW Cup halfback, Dean Hawkins, has been announced as the NSW Cup Player of the Year at the NSW Rugby League's Brad Fittler Medal dinner in Sydney tonight (Monday).
Hawkins has been a mainstay of the NSW Cup side throughout 2023, playing in 20 games so far this season. He has scored 134 points so far this year from seven tries and 53 goals.
Hawkins leads the competition in line engagements (234), is second in the competition for kick metres with 6,883 metres from 253 kicks so far this year including one 40/20, is sixth for try assists with 17 to his name so far in 2023, is equal seventh for linebreak assists with 15, and has a goal kicking percentage of 77%.
Wotif Retail Campaign

"Dean is a thorough professional and this is great recognition for a tremendous season to date," Rabbitohs NSW Cup Coach Joe O'Callaghan said.
"Dean's played tough all year, he's had some injury worries, but he's really grinded it out and has led from the front every week.
"The way he's been able to go on with his training all season, helping the NRL team to prepare each week and stepping up to the NRL level when required, then continually turning in great performances for our NSW Cup team, is a credit to him.
"He's been a terrific captain this year and I'm looking forward to watching him lead us over the next month of football as we try and win more competitions for the Rabbitohs."
Hawkins will lead his team in the major semi final this Saturday at 5pm at Leichhardt Oval when they take on the minor premiers, the North Sydney Bears, for a spot in the 2023 NSW Cup Grand Final.
The last Rabbitohs player to be crowned the Player of the Year in the NSW Cup competition was Billy Brittain back in 2019. Hawkins also won the 2023 NSW Cup Players' Player award at the recent Rabbitohs Pathways Awards night.
Congratulations to Dean Hawkins on his NSW Cup Player of the Year award for 2023

And why hasn’t he been given a fair go in NRL……stinks!
Ilias' defence is NRL standard whereas Footy Dean's isn't. That's his downfall unfortunately Mags but it's also something he can work on to get up to that standard, particularly if he was given an extended go in the #7.

What he does have is the best kicking game at the club at this present point in time. And a good kicking game is invaluable. It was a real downfall of Ilias this year I'm afraid.

In general play, Hawkins is a straight up number 7 type but not the type that could transfer to the 6 role. Not his go. IF he sticks around, he could put more pressure on Ilias for the 1st grade spot. Competition for spots is healthy for the club. I get the feeling Ilias has been guaranteed the first grade halfback spot and I'm not sure that's the way to go.

Congrats to Deano on a great year in his natural position at halfback.

I’m interested to see how Tallis comes back after his run in first grade. Very strong side. Shame Blake and DSF aren’t there.

If we had better luck with injuries during the year we could have had Jed Cartwright or Michael Chee Kam there.

Back