• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Bennett is set to be armed with a $1m Souths war chest. This is how he could spend it

Wayne Bennett may not arrive at the Rabbitohs until next season but he is already being linked to a number of moves in the transfer market.

The master coach has allowed Damien Cook to depart for the Dragons, while halfback Lachlan Ilias is reportedly also looking for an exit, freeing up a reported $1 million in cap space.

Bennett has already recruited English playmaker Lewis Dodd while Fox League’s James Hooper reports there is a real possibility hooker Brandon Smith could make a switch to the Roosters bitter rivals.

Now according to The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carrayannis, Bennett will finalise a deal to bring Euan Aitken with him to the Redfern-based club in the coming days.

“I think he will be at South Sydney next year, he will potentially be Wayne Bennett’s first signing, he’s with him at the Dolphins at the moment,” Carayannis said on NRL360.

“They are just finalising either a two or three-year deal for Euan Aitken to join the club. He’s been handy at the Dolphins.

“He has been handy... he can play in the back row, can play in the centres.”

Carayannis also explained Bennett is desperate to sign middle forwards, hoping to bolster the Rabbitohs’ forward pack.

South Sydney have previously been linked to Dragons gun Jack de Belin, however a Sharks enforcer is firming as the man to add starch to the Rabbitohs’ middle.

“The natural thing is they are desperate for some middles, nothing helps unless they add some grunt to the middle of the field,” Carayannis said.

“A few names there have been Jack de Belin and Royce Hunt. It’s my understanding Hunt is the more likely of the two of them.

I was speaking to South Sydney officials today, they said it was unlikely de Belin would be at Souths.

“Hunt has been given permission to negotiate for 2026, so they’ve fast-tracked that November 1 deadline but we know with Connor Tracey they did something similar.”

In another shock move, Tevita Pangai Junior could also land in Redfern, however his recruitment depends on how successful his stint is with the Dolphins.

The former Bulldogs, Panthers and Broncos middle has signed with the 17th franchise for the remainder of the season, having retired from rugby league in 2023 to pursue boxing.

He left behind a lucrative contract at the Bulldogs reportedly worth $850,000 per-season, but has now resumed his NRL career under Bennett.

“Tevita Pangai Junior, who is away at sea, Wayne is not sure what he’s going to get from him at the Dolphins,” Carryannis added.

“But if he starts well and hits the ground running, he probably will end up at Souths as well.”

So Carayannis is telling the world what HE THINKS MAY happen. Why oh why did I waste my time reading that rubbish. 🤯
To be fair, Carayannis usually, mostly talks about stuff he’s genuinely got wind of. I’ve seen him shut down or not add to certain baseless scuttlebutt on 360.

Not a Chammas or a Weidler (like him or not, there’s generally some smoke near whatever bush he’s hiding in) level of mail, but he does seem to shy away from straight rumour.

Hooper and Ritchie are the real liabilities when it comes to just saying stuff for the fun of it.

To be fair, Carayannis usually, mostly talks about stuff he’s genuinely got wind of. I’ve seen him shut down or not add to certain baseless scuttlebutt on 360.

Not a Chammas or a Weidler (like him or not, there’s generally some smoke near whatever bush he’s hiding in) level of mail, but he does seem to shy away from straight rumour.

Hooper and Ritchie are the real liabilities when it comes to just saying stuff for the fun of it.
So Wayne's telling him all this banter about TPJ ? I highly doubt it. No better than the rest of them.

How good is Stewart in under 19s SOO for the blues....

Any game we get to play at Allianz is a bonus for me. Last night being out at Accor with only 10,000 there was terrible. The only game we should be taking to Accor is the Good Friday game.

Also I’m thinking that we would be playing different days. So wouldn’t affect our personal celebrations.

Latest posts

Back