• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

The problem with Gould is he wants every game of footy to be a cliffhanger, with the two teams fighting it out in the last 5 minutes with only a point or two in it.
When a team is behind he doesn't want their tries disallowed, regardless of what the refs see.
TBH the 7 tackle rule for dropping when trying to score is a dumb rule so I completely agree with Gould

TBH the 7 tackle rule for dropping when trying to score is a dumb rule so I completely agree with Gould
The rule was introduced because Penrith purposely kicked dead from a long range out to take Slater out of the game.

So instead of putting a rule in that if you kick the ball dead from outside the 30m line they make it every infringement.

So often they overreact with their rule changes.

The rule was introduced because Penrith purposely kicked dead from a long range out to take Slater out of the game.

So instead of putting a rule in that if you kick the ball dead from outside the 30m line they make it every infringement.

So often they overreact with their rule changes.
I know why but all they had to do was make the rule / “if you kick it dead it’s a 20m tap and 7 tackles” for all others it’s a 10m tap and 6 tackles

I know why but all they had to do was make the rule / “if you kick it dead it’s a 20m tap and 7 tackles” for all others it’s a 10m tap and 6 tackles
Just wanted to highlight how poor those changing the rules overreact.

I don’t even think it should be if the ball goes dead. You’re not taking the fullback out of play when you put a grubber through.

I don’t even think it should be if the ball goes dead. You’re not taking the fullback out of play when you put a grubber through.
As you said it should only be for kicks that are from outside the 30m line - those are designed to stop open play counter-attacks.

Grubbers and bombs from close are primarily attacking plays designed to get tries or goal-line drop-outs.

And he and the other "media heavyweights" cause most of the problems we have because they constantly whinge, without a great degree of consistency and then when the NRL knee jerks to try and appease them, they whinge about that.
Correct. The NRL should ignore any moans or suggestions that come from the media. The media will whinge no matter what the rule is. For the media the grass in always greener on the other side or they want to show how much cleverer they are than anyone else when it comes to running the game.

Correct. The NRL should ignore any moans or suggestions that come from the media. The media will whinge no matter what the rule is. For the media the grass in always greener on the other side or they want to show how much cleverer they are than anyone else when it comes to running the game.
This is the exact reason why I don’t understand the NRL making these dumb arse ruling changes simply to appease a bleating “journalist”. They’re going to complain no matter what, so just stick firm to the basic product and stop making so many stupid, unnecessary changes that simply create new issues.

Like set restarts. Dumb arse ruling.
Don’t get me started on the farce of awarding a try then having the referee pretend he saw something to have a review.

The simplest change to negate the negative tactics of kicking the ball dead, was to make it…”if the ball is caught on the full in the in goal / ball goes dead from a kick OUTSIDE the 40 metre line (helpfully coloured red already) then it is a 7 tackle set from the 20 metre line”.

But instead they fundamentally changed the fabric of the game and made it far more negative unintentionally.

Back