• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

NRL 2024: Rabbitohs consider shock lifeline to bring James Tamou out of retirement | Sport Confidential​

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read
dca99f7b85f8bafa66364b220e154db3

South Sydney are on the immediate lookout for an outside back while they are also considering throwing James Tamou a surprise NRL lifeline as their injury situation worsens.
The Rabbitohs are keen on adding an outside back for the rest of the 2024 season after Isaiah Tass became the latest long-term injury for the club.

While their backline stocks have been severely depleted, they are also struggling up-front. That led to the club considering a call-up to Tamou who since retiring from the NRL last season has been playing for Townsville in the Queensland Cup. Tamou is understood to be the next cab off the rank should they suffer any more injuries to their forward stocks.

The Rabbitohs have a feeder club relationship with Townville and as a result called in Gehamat Shibasaki from Queensland and he will play against the Dragons on Saturday night.

Tamou could prove to be the steadying influence the Rabbitohs need to help navigate through the back end of the season. It is understood that if he is asked he would answer an SOS call from the Rabbitohs.

The Rabbitohs are considering throwing retired NRL star James Tamou a surprise lifeline. Picture: Evan Morgan

The Rabbitohs are considering throwing retired NRL star James Tamou a surprise lifeline. Picture: Evan Morgan
The ex-NSW and Kangaroos prop has started eight games for the Blackhawks this year and is averaging about 39 minutes per game.

The 35-year-old played the last of his 308 top grade games for the Cowboys in round four in 2023.

Meanwhile, Rabbitohs utility Michael Chee Kam admits he has no idea where his future lays as he prepares for a new coach to take over at the Rabbitohs next season.

Chee Kam is among a host of players whose contracts finish at the end of October – deals for Dean Hawkins, Isaiah Tass, Isaac Thompson, Leon Te Hau and Taane Milne also expire in less than six months.

Seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett is expected to join the Rabbitohs and Chee Kam hopes he is part of his plans.

Tamou returned to the Cowboys in 2023 before retiring from first grade, but has continued playing for the Townsville Blackhawks. Picture: Getty Images

Tamou returned to the Cowboys in 2023 before retiring from first grade, but has continued playing for the Townsville Blackhawks. Picture: Getty Images
“With a new coach coming in I just control what I can control and play good footy,” Chee Kam said.

“Hopefully I play good footy and he likes what he sees.”

Chee Kam has made five appearances for the Rabbitohs this season, scoring one try and filling in where necessary. He was brought to the club by Jason Demetriou but would relish the opportunity to play under Bennett.

“They are saying he is a bit of a character – they love him,” Chee Kam said.

“Obviously he has done a lot of great things. Whoever it is, hopefully he likes me. It has been tough but I reckon always in life when you face a bit of adversity, especially as a group, it brings you closer together.

“It hasn’t shown on the field yet but I feel like we are even tighter as a group. JD is the one who got me here.

“I am grateful to JD for bringing me to this amazing club.”

Pretty hard to have them fit and focused when most of the time they were either injured or suspended. He's gone anyway so everyone can keep up the JD bashing when we start beating these lesser teams. It will all make sense for most on here then except the fitness argument. Unless of course we've suddenly gotten fit in two weeks under our former attack coach.

Agree.
The forwards have been our major issue. Errors and poor defense. It’s not necessarily the lack of fitness, they just don’t have that motor.
Can anyone seriously tell me Toms lack of agility and ability to get off the ground is fitness?
No it’s him. His strengths lie elsewhere. Ditto Host, Keppie, Moale. They just don’t have the internal motor
Thats our poor defense and errors right there

NRL 2024: Rabbitohs consider shock lifeline to bring James Tamou out of retirement | Sport Confidential​

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read
dca99f7b85f8bafa66364b220e154db3

South Sydney are on the immediate lookout for an outside back while they are also considering throwing James Tamou a surprise NRL lifeline as their injury situation worsens.
The Rabbitohs are keen on adding an outside back for the rest of the 2024 season after Isaiah Tass became the latest long-term injury for the club.

While their backline stocks have been severely depleted, they are also struggling up-front. That led to the club considering a call-up to Tamou who since retiring from the NRL last season has been playing for Townsville in the Queensland Cup. Tamou is understood to be the next cab off the rank should they suffer any more injuries to their forward stocks.

The Rabbitohs have a feeder club relationship with Townville and as a result called in Gehamat Shibasaki from Queensland and he will play against the Dragons on Saturday night.

Tamou could prove to be the steadying influence the Rabbitohs need to help navigate through the back end of the season. It is understood that if he is asked he would answer an SOS call from the Rabbitohs.

The ex-NSW and Kangaroos prop has started eight games for the Blackhawks this year and is averaging about 39 minutes per game.

The 35-year-old played the last of his 308 top grade games for the Cowboys in round four in 2023.

Meanwhile, Rabbitohs utility Michael Chee Kam admits he has no idea where his future lays as he prepares for a new coach to take over at the Rabbitohs next season.

Chee Kam is among a host of players whose contracts finish at the end of October – deals for Dean Hawkins, Isaiah Tass, Isaac Thompson, Leon Te Hau and Taane Milne also expire in less than six months.

Seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett is expected to join the Rabbitohs and Chee Kam hopes he is part of his plans.

“With a new coach coming in I just control what I can control and play good footy,” Chee Kam said.

“Hopefully I play good footy and he likes what he sees.”

Chee Kam has made five appearances for the Rabbitohs this season, scoring one try and filling in where necessary. He was brought to the club by Jason Demetriou but would relish the opportunity to play under Bennett.

“They are saying he is a bit of a character – they love him,” Chee Kam said.

“Obviously he has done a lot of great things. Whoever it is, hopefully he likes me. It has been tough but I reckon always in life when you face a bit of adversity, especially as a group, it brings you closer together.

“It hasn’t shown on the field yet but I feel like we are even tighter as a group. JD is the one who got me here.

“I am grateful to JD for bringing me to this amazing club.”
Our cap must be seriously f**ked if we can't find better players for positions 29 and 30.

Crichton will stay at the rooseters and by round 10 next season they will get Manu back as well

you face a bit of adversity, especially as a group, it brings you closer together.

“It hasn’t shown on the field yet but I feel like we are even tighter as a group

No no Michael haven’t you read the print and social media?
The players are off each other, the joints toxic & no one cares or tries…..so we’re told👐

Last edited:
Roosters get Fifita and we go for Tamou…

If I knew how to post a meme, Robin Williams would be here asking if it was 2005/06 all over again.

disclaimer: yes I understand circumstances etx.

Our cap must be seriously f**ked if we can't find better players for positions 29 and 30.
Tamou being with Townsville would be probably be another Shibasaki deal.

I’d assume the outside back they’re looking for is perhaps 29?

If we sign another low-mid range in every facet of the game type back like Tass I’ll cry. I don’t care if they are 175cm or 195cm… find someone who is athletic and quick or can carry 200m consistently etc.

Surely there is a decent prospect we had lined up for next year that can come across now.

If we sign another low-mid range in every facet of the game type back like Tass I’ll cry. I don’t care if they are 175cm or 195cm… find someone who is athletic and quick or can carry 200m consistently etc.

Surely there is a decent prospect we had lined up for next year that can come across now.

So easy to say and demand but reality rules

Roosters get Fifita and we go for Tamou…

If I knew how to post a meme, Robin Williams would be here asking if it was 2005/06 all over again.

disclaimer: yes I understand circumstances etx.

I doubt they’ll get Fifita. And while their 17 might still look ok for next year, their depth has been smashed.

If Wayne is here next year, we’ll finish ahead of the Roosters.

I doubt they’ll get Fifita. And while their 17 might still look ok for next year, their depth has been smashed.

If Wayne is here next year, we’ll finish ahead of the Roosters.
According to Chammas it's a done deal!

Back