• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

South Sydney has gentrified. There'd be more athletic young men hanging out in Penrith Plaza listening to Onefour than in the entire South Sydney area.

The Townsville/Keebra Park announcements were a step in the right direction - let's look at New Zealand next.

yes. I’d also like to hear from the juniors as to what their thoughts are

We only recently linked with Keebra Park so I think this has been addressed. It's not going to happen overnight.

I agree in principle, and if we want to match the top sides, we really need to expand our horizons.

South Sydney has gentrified. There'd be more athletic young men hanging out in Penrith Plaza listening to Onefour than in the entire South Sydney area.

The Townsville/Keebra Park announcements were a step in the right direction - let's look at New Zealand next.
I agree, the big issue is that after around the under 15s the numbers drop dramatically. Talking to one of the coaches he said the Juniors were still reluctant to fill the rep teams with imports, his argument is that you just can’t find the talent in 4-5 teams. You might get on or two but not the 10-12 required to compliment the 4-6 imports
We only recently linked with Keebra Park so I think this has been addressed. It's not going to happen overnight.
My concern is that schools don’t contract players. Keebra Park generally provides the environment for clubs to send their contracted Juniors. It’s why Tge Titans ended their agreement because Keebra wanted exclusivity with their talent

The way I read it, is that when we sign young QLDs we send them to Keebra instead of bringing them down to Sydney before they are ready and Keebra scouts will help identify talent to sign. But they won’t and can’t send us players already contracted to othe QLD teams

I agree, the big issue is that after around the under 15s the numbers drop dramatically. Talking to one of the coaches he said the Juniors were still reluctant to fill the rep teams with imports, his argument is that you just can’t find the talent in 4-5 teams. You might get on or two but not the 10-12 required to compliment the 4-6 imports
This is a real problem.

I'm not sure of the current arrangement, but do the Juniors still control the HM and SG Ball sides? I thought the club took that on.

My concern is that schools don’t contract players. Keebra Park generally provides the environment for clubs to send their contracted Juniors. It’s why Tge Titans ended their agreement because Keebra wanted exclusivity with their talent

The way I read it, is that when we sign young QLDs we send them to Keebra instead of bringing them down to Sydney before they are ready and Keebra scouts will help identify talent to sign. But they won’t and can’t send us players already contracted to othe QLD teams
Which is fair enough contracted players should be untouchable. We need to find more or better scouts up there then because there is plenty of unsigned talent bursting at the seams all over Qld. We now have a nice carrot to dangle at them with a top rugby league school on offer. I think it was a great idea and we will reap benefits in the future.

In Harold Matt’s the Panthers are running 9th. They’re 7th in Ball , and 7th in Flegg.
Not too different to where our kids are in terms of wins.

I guess they’ve dropped the ball with their development 🤪

I think there's a snowball effect with our forwards.

Our forwards are tired defensively from having to do way more rucking it out of our own end than they should.

In 2024 you need your back 3 to ruck you out of trouble to give your forwards a rest. Watch Penrith - their forwards don't even bother retreating back into their own 40m in attack, they wait for Edwards and To'o and co. to catch up to them. They then have the energy to maintain high line speed, win the ruck defensively, and on it goes. It's a domino effect.

Our forwards this year are generally making more metres than their opposition. They're running too much and are very tired defensively.

Edwards and To'o.
Katoa and Mulitano.
Coates and Warbrick.
Suaalii and Tupou.
Staggs and Mariner.

All the top teams have at least 2 outside backs who are great at rucking the team out of trouble.

@Brownrabbit has been banging on about it for years (even if we disagree on AJ, 'cause I think he's fine as long as our 1 and 5 can make those metres).

Fix our backine issues and watch the forwards improve.

Thats why i would like to see this

1.Gray

Half the size of Trell but runs the ball back hard and fast and makes good metres

2. Take your pick of Munro, AJ or Mellors

Munros speed can make you metres, AJ best finishing winger but his speed has slowed which raises concerns, Mellors can he ever get on the field to play a game? Seen as our next best prospect but I'll be honest have not seen much of him that I remember.

3 big bodies who should be able to help get us metres, as long as Trell isn't lazy in doing so like he is at fullback

3.Wighton
4.Mitchell
5.Graham

I don't know if Mellors is as good as they say and with AJ losing speed and you got to make the tough decisions.

1.gray
2.Munro
3.Wighton
4.Mitchell
5.Graham

In Harold Matt’s the Panthers are running 9th. They’re 7th in Ball , and 7th in Flegg.
Not too different to where our kids are in terms of wins.

I guess they’ve dropped the ball with their development 🤪
You can have the odd bad year. Rest assured if you look at previous years they have been doing pretty well.

This is a real problem.

I'm not sure of the current arrangement, but do the Juniors still control the HM and SG Ball sides? I thought the club took that on.
Me neither I should of asked I will the next time I bump him or Brent Hill who is now a talent scout for the juniors/pathways

I think it’s a bit of a high bred model where The Seniors sign those elite kids to throw into the Black Rabbit program then the juniors supply the rest through the nursery

I’d like to see the Juniors in conjunction with the Seniors add more contracted outside kids to the program. Since the junior numbers are lower they are saving on rego, insurance and playing kit so why not divert those savings into head hunting talent so the pool is deeper

You can have the odd bad year. Rest assured if you look at previous years they have been doing pretty well.
They are also becoming a victim of their own success. They are being raided by most other NRL clubs.

I was under the impression we took it over in 2020 or atleast have the majority say now.

It kills me seeing our teams with 10 Luke Keary physiques in the backline and 10 forwards who look like Brandon Smith whereas the other teams all look the size and athleticism of Suaalii and JWH already at 16-18.

Agree, of course, just like us.

last year the self proclaimed expert on here said he was pull of praise for what was being done with our pathways. Especially ”Ello“.
now he’s spewing venom at them…..go figure🥴

I’ve always thought it strange in the post game pressers Cam would always refer to JD as coach. Never calling him JD or Jason.
Last night Cam calls the new coach Benny.

Was there are divide between players and coach ?
Cam form has gone to shit since “coach” took over and a few others have reverted in form.

Latest posts

Back