• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

How about that segment they did on how bad a public look it was for a 'high profile' league media personality to be involved in a drunken brawl outside a pub, then get charged for it? They really gave it to him hey. Accountability and all
Everyone on shows like 360 and other shows like it are and will be brought down to talking gutter trash because it sells. People are watching, so those in marketing there seem to think trashing the players,coaches and everyone and everything associated with the game is good for ratings. All these ex-players being brought down to the gutter are now total hypocrites bringing down the game they are supposed to love. I don't watch anymore. If I'm going to watch anything it would be Johns and Cronk giving smart or close enough to smart analysis on the game that set them up in life.

True it was the first compliment they got off me in a while and that was after they signed;
Munro
Mellars
Gray
Fletcher
And a couple of others all of whom you think are pretty much duds

Well, you were going pretty good, actually admitting you’re a hypocrite but then you couldn’t help yourself by telling bald faced lies.

keep it up bubbles 👐

Braith does, and it was a great interview. Braith used to call all of the pathways games on fox, and is very well connected in the pathways system.

I like that there are external people keeping our club accountable and asking the tough questions.

James Graham was fantastic last night also, I like how he fires up.

Solly did amazing, he answered everything incredibly professional, pushed back respectfully and nailed the answers to some very tough questions.

I like that the 360 panel didn't hold any punches, they absolutley give it to other coaches when interviewing them also. They pretty much smashed brandy during the origin failure time also. They don't seem to go easy on the questions.
Does anyone else get the impression that James Graham is full on auditioning for Kent’s job ?
He’s taken on Kents ‘hard man’ persona pushing his points and asserting his position in the debates….that‘s pure Kent.
I just can’t see Kent getting his job back and JG smells that opportunity beyond being a temporary replacement.

To say the coaching was poor, then you are probably unknowingly criticising a former half back assistant coach in charge of attack at the club for the past few seasons, who is now the interim head coach.

And further to that point, when WB arrives he will not be coaching attack or defense.
He will be employing a JD or Hornby to do that

agreed in part mate. You and I as fans, shit yeah. We don't care.
As a professional player, I'm sure knowing at least who the next coach *may* be would be a factor in his decision making.

They may well have outlined the plan to target certain coaches. Like WB, Bellamy, Lamb, Maguire and that was clearly enough for the kid to think….”any of them will do me, they’d be great but I’ll also back myself regardless of who the coach is. I desperately want to play NRL, I’m good enough ”

Besides the Panthers, we have had good success in bringing youngsters from the pathways into first grade. Of our top 17 when fit you could also add, Murray, Graham, AJ etc
Bid odd that solly says the club didn't speak to Bennett until recently, but then admits russell talks to him all the time, and has been in talks with wayne for the last 2 weeks.

So we are meant to believe that the king of convincing Russell Crowe didn't have one single convo with wayne about what half to get?

I don't buy it, but understand why the club needs the optics to appear that way.

In rusty we trust.

Anastasia
I don't care that they had two meeting to make a decision, who cares?

Frankly, I would have sacked JD after the roosters game. I think a more ruthless admin would have sacked him last season.

Anyway, onward an

I actually think it wouldn't matter and Graham/Anasta were way overstating the importance of knowing who the coach is here.

"Hey, 22 year old young man from Widnes. How's the North of England? Would you like to move to Sydney, Australia and play halfback in the best Rugby League competition in the world? We'll pay you half a million dollars a year, too."

What's a more likely response?

A) "I would like assurances of who the head coach is going to be"
B) "F**k yeah!"

I actually think it wouldn't matter and Graham/Anasta were way overstating the importance of knowing who the coach is here.

"Hey, 22 year old young man from Widnes. How's the North of England? Would you like to move to Sydney, Australia and play halfback in the best Rugby League competition in the world? We'll pay you half a million dollars a year, too."

What's a more likely response?

A) "I would like assurances of who the head coach is going to be"
B) "F**k yeah!"
You are describing a guy that just wants to come to Australia and party and football is second on his mind.
If I wanted to come and win a comp I would want to know who the coach is and playing rosters.
Also new coach has an excuse.
Halfback is shit. You picked him not me etc etc.

Makes you think we have a coach already lined up.

I think there's a snowball effect with our forwards.

Our forwards are tired defensively from having to do way more rucking it out of our own end than they should.

In 2024 you need your back 3 to ruck you out of trouble to give your forwards a rest. Watch Penrith - their forwards don't even bother retreating back into their own 40m in attack, they wait for Edwards and To'o and co. to catch up to them. They then have the energy to maintain high line speed, win the ruck defensively, and on it goes. It's a domino effect.

Our forwards this year are generally making more metres than their opposition. They're running too much and are very tired defensively.

Edwards and To'o.
Katoa and Mulitano.
Coates and Warbrick.
Suaalii and Tupou.
Staggs and Mariner.

All the top teams have at least 2 outside backs who are great at rucking the team out of trouble.

@Brownrabbit has been banging on about it for years (even if we disagree on AJ, 'cause I think he's fine as long as our 1 and 5 can make those metres).

Fix our backine issues and watch the forwards improve.
Our back 3 are definitely deficient at present. We really need at least one winger who can bring the ball back with gusto. I’m somewhat heartened by the report that a winger is on Ellison‘s shopping list and that along with a proven metre eating front rower are the clear priorities IMO especially considering we’re losing Tom. From what I’ve seen Caleb Clarke would be a great acquisition covering both wing and centre, he’s an awesome ball carrier. It seems nearly every club has a front rower on their shopping list so maybe there‘s a potential recruit in the ESL.

How about that segment they did on how bad a public look it was for a 'high profile' league media personality to be involved in a drunken brawl outside a pub, then get charged for it? They really gave it to him hey. Accountability and all
They opened the show a couple of nights ago acknowledging Kent being stood down pending an investigation.

I don't know why you expect them to comment on a media personality, who is an employee on a potential legal matter.

Our forwards this year are generally making more metres than their opposition. They're running too much and are very tired defensively.

that’s partially true Yob. They are more to blame for their horrendous error rate, momentum killers though.

The Manly game was won till forwards errors let them back.
Against the donkeys they started from the first tackle.
6 of the first 8 sets against the roosters, the forwards made errors on early tackles.
Against NZ there was no sign of danger after 30 minutes until errors killed us.

it’s every one of the pack chiming in with dumbness and yes, the the defense falls apart

some blame the coach, some blame fitness some just think they are no good but whatever the reasons it’s been our errors that have killed us more than anything

Excellent point, mate. And these days, it's a back 5 as the centres need to do a lot of this work too. For all the crap JD copped for picking Milne, this is one of the reasons he had him at wing. I still think the forwards aren't anywhere what they used to be, and they're certainly not at the level of the the current top 4 teams.

Back 5, forwards - it still leads back to recruitment and retention doesn't it? It's been poor.
Correct Penrith changed the model from back 3 to back 5.

It’s why Robinson invested in a big yardage back 5 and Brisbane aren’t far off as well

It’s why I say we can’t carry Aj. He is a prime example of what became endemic within this squad

Certain players like Graham and Murray were looked upon to do far too much of the tough stuff, while others are allowed to play in dinner suits

The focus needs to be on the team and club’s success and not that of the individual and a try scoring record is an individual achievement

Ruthless and determined to put team first, love it and agree but had we let Johnstone go there would have been shrieks of disloyalty, but its what you have to do.
Correct Penrith changed the model from back 3 to back 5.

It’s why Robinson invested in a big yardage back 5 and Brisbane aren’t far off as well

It’s why I say we can’t carry Aj. He is a prime example of what became endemic within this squad

Certain players like Graham and Murray were looked upon to do far too much of the tough stuff, while others are allowed to play in dinner suits

The focus needs to be on the team and club’s success and not that of the individual and a try scoring record is an individual achievement

I think there's a snowball effect with our forwards.

Our forwards are tired defensively from having to do way more rucking it out of our own end than they should.

In 2024 you need your back 3 to ruck you out of trouble to give your forwards a rest. Watch Penrith - their forwards don't even bother retreating back into their own 40m in attack, they wait for Edwards and To'o and co. to catch up to them. They then have the energy to maintain high line speed, win the ruck defensively, and on it goes. It's a domino effect.

Edwards and To'o.
Katoa and Mulitano.
Coates and Warbrick.
Suaalii and Tupou.
Staggs and Mariner.

All the top teams have at least 2 outside backs who are great at rucking the team out of trouble.

@Brownrabbit has been banging on about it for years (even if we disagree on AJ, 'cause I think he's fine as long as our 1 and 5 can make those metres).

Fix our backine issues and watch the forwards improve.
Every team is the same. It has been happening for years.

Davvy Moale
Tyrone Munro
Jye Gray
Tallis Duncan

That's a good crop of recent youngsters from "pathways".

They just need better coaching.
Yet it’s not quite what we are seeing coming out of Penrith or Brisbane

Like I said previously the recruitment drive when we signed Gray, Munro and a few others was first class. But it didn’t continue the following year

I’m not sure how accurate it is but a father of one of our contracted Ball players informs me that we only have 4 kids on contracts in SG Ball. The top teams have between 10-14. He said the team is largely made of other teams rejects and average local kids

We need to set a top 4 standard throughout the club. Winning has to become the habit and a defensive mindset the priority

Yet it’s not quite what we are seeing coming out of Penrith or Brisbane

Like I said previously the recruitment drive when we signed Gray, Munro and a few others was first class. But it didn’t continue the following year

I’m not sure how accurate it is but a father of one of our contracted Ball players informs me that we only have 4 kids on contracts in SG Ball. The top teams have between 10-14. He said the team is largely made of other teams rejects and average local kids

We need to set a top 4 standard throughout the club. Winning has to become the habit and a defensive mindset the priority
I agree in principle, and if we want to match the top sides, we really need to expand our horizons.

South Sydney has gentrified. There'd be more athletic young men hanging out in Penrith Plaza listening to Onefour than in the entire South Sydney area.

The Townsville/Keebra Park announcements were a step in the right direction - let's look at New Zealand next.

Back