• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

Remember when we were told by some that the results from the second half of last year should be ignored? :ROFLMAO:
This was the disturbing thing for me from the non-review of the collapse of 2023. We made noises about a full root and branch review and in the end all that came of it was basically....oh it was just one of those things..the writing was on the wall from that point

I'm glad it's finally over. Feel for JD but it was inevitable.

What concerns me is that reading through the various reports it seems we have a leak in the boardroom, and one in the player group (unless I'm misreading).

Interesting during his interview when speaking of the recruitment team there was no mention of Brock.
I think people maybe misunderstand Brock’s role.

He’s the COO. It’s an operations role detailed as:

Mr Schaefer is responsible for the operational aspects of the Club including football and administrative operations, facility and infrastructure, player and staff wellbeing and professional development, mental performance and leadership programs and projects such as the Community and High Performance Centre at Heffron Park in Maroubra.

None of that says he’s in a role like Ellison or like what Richo was.

It sounds more corporate, project managing, staff dev, and welfare.

It seems like the brainstrust on actual footy stuff is Solly, the coach, Ellison, with a sign off from the CFO on the numbers.

Meaning who the coach is is important.

I personally believe the fact we didn’t make the call at the end of the season means we erred.

My view is that any time you enter an off season when a coach under pressure (which JD was) you’re off to a bad start.

I personally believe the fact we didn’t make the call at the end of the season means we erred.

My view is that any time you enter an off season when a coach under pressure (which JD was) you’re off to a bad start.
You’re probably right.

We were completely uncompetitive in the final 2 rounds despite having a solid team on the park.

Short of selling a very clear reason why something was going to be different in the new year, we probably should have read the writing on the wall.

A CEO should never over rule the Board, or be a 'pseudo' director. The board make the decision and the CEO in part carries out their direction.

The board have been very diligent in the way they have handled this situation. A lot must be considered before sacking any employee, including the repercussions and to minimize impact on the business.
that's a handy response and comment, and I agree.
It also had nothing to do with my comment about the wishy-washy nature of the way things looked for us in recent weeks.

I feel a little sad.

JD seems like such a nice guy and it's tough to be sacked when you have tried as hard as he has.

Thanks for your hard work JD and all the best for the future.
I generally feel sorry for the man but not the coach

From the report above even his last ditch plan was riddled with excuses

He needs to learn once he uses excuses he’s giving his team excuses. It’s not how top flight coaches work

Ange at Tottenham is the perfect example, he had a injury ridden mid season to his gun players, when reporters tried to give it to him as an excuse he’d answer’ The injuries don’t help but we just need to be better in what we do and more committed’ he does the same when he gets rough calls

There’s no doubt JD is a top line human being, unfortunately for all involved he’s just not a top line NRL coach

It's the apparent 'weakness' in management that bothers me the most. Why did it take so long to act? Why were people actually arguing for JD to stay on?!
Why were we appearing so wishy washy.

Would Richo have allowed this to drag on in this fashion? No way!

Agree Blake has great presence, and off-field operations (non-football) seem perfectly ok. Why can't he overrule the current football management? We need a Richo in the football department at the very least

I'm happy for Solly to stay.

The whole football operation side of things needs to be scrapped and rebuilt.

Strength and conditioning
Rehab
Recruitment and retention.

3 most important things that need a proper overhaul.

and looking back I can tell you exactly when you should have bought and sold bitcoin to be billionaire…..🤣

I think people maybe misunderstand Brock’s role.
No we didn’t. He was definitely involved in recruitment previously and had been stated several times. This was the first time that his name hadn’t been talked about in recruitment.

This was from an article that Souths released late last year in regards to it.

“Rabbitohs Head of Football Mark Ellison remains in his role with a focus on recruitment and coaching support, along with Chief Operating Officer Brock Schaefer who continues in his role managing football operations, staffing and key stakeholder engagement.”

It's the apparent 'weakness' in management that bothers me the most. Why did it take so long to act? Why were people actually arguing for JD to stay on?!
Why were we appearing so wishy washy.

Would Richo have allowed this to drag on in this fashion? No way!

Agree Blake has great presence, and off-field operations (non-football) seem perfectly ok. Why can't he overrule the current football management? We need a Richo in the football department at the very least
Sorry Shauno, but I find comments like this funny and a little hypocritical

End of last season posters Like myself, raider and Sonic said this is where we were heading and were criticised for our lack of support of the club and accused by some as not being fans.

So why should the board and management be any different to posters?

These guys had a vested interest in the coach they appointed and they doubled down on that investment at the end of last season

Now two months into the season this same mob have to swallow their pride and put ego’s to the side and publicly admit they got it wrong by sacking their man.

While I’m disappointed in the process I’m not surprised. We have a COO who appears to want to be the GM of Football, a GM of football who sits in his office until told to do something and a CEO who’s more businessman than old footy head.

We don’t have a ruthless Caesar like the dodgy used car salesman at the Roosters. When Crowe had first and last call shit got done. But now we are becoming more like the West Tigers and Dragons where many vested interests have a say.

This leads to a drawn out process and at times indecisiveness.

Let’s just hope the Bennett deal is actually done and he’s not leveraging us against another club like he did to the Roosters back in the day

Ange, “The injuries don’t help but we just need to be better in what we do and more committed’

I get you’ve wanted him gone for yonks but You clearly weren’t paying attention if you missed him saying that numerous times.

Latest posts

Back