• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Injury & Judiciary Reports

i remember years back when Asotasi was captain, we lost 8 in a row with Jason Taylor as coach , yet we made the semis that year, and at one stage we had most of our pack out injured, we had the depth to cover it , but ended up getting the prop from the South Coasts to help out ... it was tough but we did ok
You may be thinking of 2008. We lost seven in a row to start the season, but we did not make the eight.

You may be thinking of 2008. We lost seven in a row to start the season, but we did not make the eight.
gee there was one year we struggled big time and still made it , got kicked out in the first round

gee there was one year we struggled big time and still made it , got kicked out in the first round
In 2007 there was a period where we lost 7 from 8. We ended up winning 5 of 6 at the back end of the season that saw us end up in 7th.

We lost the final round to the Roosters after we already knew we made the finals. That was the famous Fa’alogo and Anasta game.

Shame though had we won that game it would have saw us move to 6th which would have seen us more than likely play the 2nd week of the finals.

Has the way we use a lock changed since Arrow was last a fulltime lock?

Doesn’t it not make us stronger with a prop rotation of Arrow, Moale, Burgess and Keppie, with Duncan at lock, as opposed to one less prop and Duncan filling in off the bench?

In a perfect world, Duncan does enough over the next 8 weeks to have you consider bringing Murray back on an edge. Far fetched maybe, but now’s the time to try things IMO.

In a perfect world, Duncan does enough over the next 8 weeks to have you consider bringing Murray back on an edge. Far fetched maybe, but now’s the time to try things IMO.
This is one of the biggest failures of the JD era.

The development of players has been poor.

A coach has to have patience with young players. When they are in their first 20 or so games, they will have good and bad patches as they get used to the pace of First Grade. Giving them only 10-15 minute stints and then dropping them for errors etc is not the way to go. Especially when their replacements are not better and have less potential.

Tallis appears to me to be paying the price for that poor defensive patch in the middle in the Warriors game. His defence was poor but he is not on his own in that department. He should have been given another opportunity or be coached to play wider.

We seem to be losing the patience needed for players entering their first-grade careers. Mistakes are focussed on ad nauseum and the good parts of their game ignored.

Tallis Duncan made 16 tackles vs the Warriors and missed 1. In 19 minutes.

In the same game, Burgess missed 7, Koloamatangi missed 5 and Host, Murray, Keppie, Mamouzelos, and Chee Kam all missed 3 tackles.

What "poor defensive period"?

This is one of the biggest failures of the JD era.

The development of players has been poor.

A coach has to have patience with young players. When they are in their first 20 or so games, they will have good and bad patches as they get used to the pace of First Grade. Giving them only 10-15 minute stints and then dropping them for errors etc is not the way to go. Especially when their replacements are not better and have less potential.

Tallis appears to me to be paying the price for that poor defensive patch in the middle in the Warriors game. His defence was poor but he is not on his own in that department. He should have been given another opportunity or be coached to play wider.

We seem to be losing the patience needed for players entering their first-grade careers. Mistakes are focussed on ad nauseum and the good parts of their game ignored.
It was like Munro last year. I can’t remember the specifics but he brought him back after an injury, he made 4 or 5 errors I think against the Sharks (all from memory were timing or in play, not high ball or kick returns etc) and he dropped him..

In the same game, Burgess missed 7, Koloamatangi missed 5 and Host, Murray, Keppie, Mamouzelos, and Chee Kam all missed 3 tackles.

My recollection of the game is that were very poor in the middle from about the 30 minute mark onwards, and he was poor in that regard but no worse than anybody else in the middle. It is not just missed tackles; it is also not being in a position to even make a tackle, or not being dominant in a tackle and not getting up off the ground creating spaces in defensive line etc

My point is that he should not have been dropped, because his inadequacy in that regard was a problem in the middle across all players (bar Murray perhaps). You persevere with someone like Duncan over Host, Keppie etc because his upside is so much better if allowed to develop.

The truth is always somewhere in between when a player gets singled out for deficiencies in their game online.

I agree, I think it’s a bit of a beat up Yobbo.

Last edited:
I wish they didn't hold back the real juicy stats for just the coaches.. would love to be able to query them again - dominant tackles, missed vs misread, 1st to tackle vs 3rd to tackle, etc

I think your point about the juicy stats is on the money.

From my recollection the middle was “loose” when he came on, compared to Murray, and we started to leak (more) points.

But the point I was making in the other thread is that young players don’t develop in a linear fashion and sometimes the best thing for their development is to work on things in a less intense grade of football.

I rate Duncan and couldn’t understand why he wasn’t picked last week (or the week before for that matter). There must be a plan that we can’t see (turns sarcasm font off).

A coach has to have patience with young players. When they are in their first 20 or so games, they will have good and bad patches as they get used to the pace of First Grade. Giving them only 10-15 minute stints and then dropping them for errors etc is not the way to go.

Theres another side to that coin that is also a very sensible and justified approach

The truth is always somewhere in between when a player gets singled out for deficiencies in their game online.

I agree, I think it’s a bit of a beat up Yobbo.

Im happy to be corrected. I recall posters here saying he was dropped due to his defense but I certainly don’t recall the coach saying it.
Did he?

Back