• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Injury Cap Relief

Pplspoet

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I understand the NRLis a battle of attrition.

But I think the NRL need to look at player injury cap relief system.

If a player on a certain amount of cash (let’s say $500k+ for example), and they are out of action due to injury for a period of greater than (let’s say) 12+ weeks, then I think you should be able to deduct a portion of that players salary (say 50% of their value for the duration of the period out), to pick up a 31st (and so on) player.

Mainly in the interest of maintaining the spectacle.

So for someone like Campbell Graham, you can claim 50% of his contract for 20 weeks and add a player at that amount.

I’m sure there are a myriad of issues with that concept that would need to be ironed out and safety guarded, but I think it’s worth figuring out.

It also eases the pressure on clubs to have players play through injury that requires treatment.

No one wants to see sides become immediately uncompetitive because of 1, 2 or 3 cruel long term injuries to key players.

A 30 man squad and the current cap is designed to cover short term depth. It’s less designed so teams can have quality cover in every position for long term injuries.

You're describing the Long Term Injury (LTI) list, which the AFL has had in place for many years, and which the NRL should no doubt have as well.

You place a player on the list, they're out for a minimum of 6 rounds (I think), and can't return until then even if they're fit. During that time, you can replace them in the squad.

Who replaces them is a bit different in AFL because they have drafts, rookie lists, etc (kind of like our development contracts but much more structured), but the concept is the same.

Better to change the development contract system. Each club could have say, 7 players on the development list. 3 designated forwards, 3 backs and 1 designated utility. These should all be identified as below the age of say, 21 and on the cusp of first grade within 24 months.
They should be allowed to rotate in and out of the first grade squad based on a clubs injury load. They should also be available for loan to other clubs under certain conditions.

You're describing the Long Term Injury (LTI) list, which the AFL has had in place for many years, and which the NRL should no doubt have as well.

You place a player on the list, they're out for a minimum of 6 rounds (I think), and can't return until then even if they're fit. During that time, you can replace them in the squad.

Who replaces them is a bit different in AFL because they have drafts, rookie lists, etc (kind of like our development contracts but much more structured), but the concept is the same.
Yeah, like the IL in Baseball.

You could have a 6, 12 and 18 week injured lists. Different concessions for each, but yeah, once they’re on there you can’t use them for that period.

Only rort there is that clubs can put a player without injury (everyone has some injury or another) and hide a player in their cap. So, we could do it now with someone like Cook (if the club wanted to get rid of him at seasons end), so we could get started on the next thing and free up cap space.

But the player kinda has to go along with it, and if they do, is it that terrible a rort? Probably a reasonable rort sacrifice for the greater good.

Better to change the development contract system. Each club could have say, 7 players on the development list. 3 designated forwards, 3 backs and 1 designated utility. These should all be identified as below the age of say, 21 and on the cusp of first grade within 24 months.
They should be allowed to rotate in and out of the first grade squad based on a clubs injury load. They should also be available for loan to other clubs under certain conditions.
Don't we already have this informally (ignoring the loan system)? Souths just go to the NRL, say we are buggered and need to use our extended, extended squad, and the NRL says yes.

Back