• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Hornby needs to relax

Offloads (not obsessing over completition rates)
Not sure I totally agree with the brackets. We look like we are taking more care in our pass selection and look more focused in catching the ball before trying to do somthing with it (extra beneficial in all this wet weather). Yes, we are doing more offloads but they are controlled ones.

I was thinking last night when was the last time we looked comfortable defending our line for multiple sets
Yep and the fact we are starting to push the envelope in terms of creeping up inside our own line. I didn’t mind the fact we gave away a few six agains as it’s a ploy the best teams use, then you back your defence to eventually force an error

Hornby did say in his presser this week the biggest change has been the kicking game.

It’s hard to think that Hornby or someone didn’t say that to JD in which case it was boneheaded decision to not try it. It would have been easiest thing to change…
JD constantly refused outside help. Didn’t want a defensive coach and didn’t want a kicking coach. I think we had a guy from the Swans do 2 sessions with the club only for JD to say we know the drills don’t need you anymore.

The moment you think you can do it all on your own and don’t listen to the people around you is when you’re defeated as a coach.

Not sure I totally agree with the brackets. We look like we are taking more care in our pass selection and look more focused in catching the ball before trying to do somthing with it (extra beneficial in all this wet weather). Yes, we are doing more offloads but they are controlled ones.
I think raider's point is that under JD at times the team suffered from a "don't look down" approach to completion rates.

What I mean by that is, if you're constantly thinking "hold the ball, hold the ball"... you're going to inevitably drop it.

They're a lot freer in the way they are playing now and are making smart pass/offload choices.

Time will tell if they can do this under pressure of better opposition, but it's a great start.

I think the difference with the offloads is the awareness from the rest of the team that it is coming. No one was ready for it before. It is a different mindset now. Like the supporting play we have now when there is a break.

There's been plenty of changes which have impressed me...
  • No.1 being our defensive structure changes on our edges (hold-and-slide vs up-and-in)
  • Moving Keaon to the middle
  • Using Moale properly (starting workhorse vs pseudo-impact player)
  • Utilising Latrell's kicking game
  • Wighton into the halves and Cody on the right (though this was probably more by necessity, but a good move none-the-less)
I really liked JD as a bloke, said everything right, but it's obvious the further we move away from him that he really was not the right coach for this club.
How about adding the work of Furner as defence coach. That is the biggest difference.

Hornby did say in his presser this week the biggest change has been the kicking game.
Kicking a little lob to the opposing winger is only better than kicking out on the full, for last play options. It wasn't really a light bulb moment to change this. But Jack and Latrell kicking now is a whole new dynamic to our last play options. We can kick out of trouble, the kicks are harder to catch, there is an opportunity for a kick chase and to contest the ball. I think that the more Latrell kicks the better he will get.

The sound that Paul Kent's ribs make when flung into a tree?

Speaking of Kent, I read during the week what was actually said to him to evoke his response

As bad as Kent is what sort of flog shoots their mouth off in public like that guy did

Speaking of Kent, I read during the week what was actually said to him to evoke his response

As bad as Kent is what sort of flog shoots their mouth off in public like that guy did
What sort of high profile media personality would waste their time on a flog like that?

What sort of high profile media personality would waste their time on a flog like that?

I agree Bruster but even for flogs like kent, it must get very tiresome to have the eickheads in the public approach them thinking they have the right to abuse them

Latest posts

Back