• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Foxtel, Kayo or FTA only ?

I've got Kayo, Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+ all for less than $50 a month total, with all services allowing at least 2 simultaneous streams, compared to a lot more for a single TV with Foxtel. No brainer for mine.

Pros and cons for both:

Foxtel (pros):
  • Picture quality (internet video is compressed more than broadcast)
  • More content types
  • Generally more reliable/less interruptions (in good weather as all Fox will be satellite soon)
  • 4K Ultra HD for select Fox League exclusive games (NOT Nine produced games)
  • Mobile support via Foxtel Go or Now, can also watch on desktop or laptop via Watch Foxtel website
  • Less delay than Kayo (generally within a few seconds of live action)
Foxtel (cons):
  • Needs installation and dedicated cabling + equipment
  • Cost (premium package)
  • Won't work in heavy rain or cloud
  • Pay extra per box or room
  • 4K channels have great picture but crap audio in my opinion - for cricket it's acceptable but I find it noticeable with NRL
Kayo (pros):
  • Acceptable picture quality on HD packages
  • SplitView on select devices to keep eyes on other sports
  • Cheap (compared to Foxtel)
  • Can watch multiple screens at once with limited equipment (if your plan supports multi-screen)
  • Can watch on nearly any internet enabled device
  • Can be used anywhere with decent WiFi and data cabling
  • Mobile support via Kayo app
  • Plenty of sporting content, includes most Foxtel sports channels
  • Some other games (such as internationals or local games) shown on Kayo Freebies or for free
Kayo (cons):
  • LATENCY - expect between 30-60 second delay compared to Foxtel
  • Internet - depending on your data plan, this may not be a problem
  • Will buffer if your internet isn't stable and high speed
  • Consumes your data allowance on most, if not all, providers
  • Features not supported on Foxtel boxes for some bizarre reason
  • App can be clunky to navigate
  • To watch on TV, you either need a supported smart TV or appliance (e.g. Chromecast, Google TV, Android TV or Apple TV)
Shared features:
  • Can watch either via internet generally (Foxtel Go has Fox League as well)
  • Similar content availability
  • Fox pre- and post-shows, ad-free games, etc.
Personally, if cost is your only issue, get Kayo. If you have a Telstra or other eligible mobile or home plan you might be able to get a good monthly discount too.

If you want the best viewing experience that won't fall apart if you need to reset your router, Foxtel is still the better experience. Also, you could put your TV and Foxtel box on an uninterruptible power supply and know as long as you have satellite service you can watch the footy, instead of having to worry about your routers, computers and NBN.

In terms of NRL content, both have about the same content available - Kayo is essentially an affiliate of Foxtel through Streamotion (who run Binge as well). Kayo Minis are shown on 502 as well, but what's cool with Kayo is that generally the full live broadcast is available on demand, where Fox League only tend to show 60-90 minute edited replays.

EDIT: Should mention Foxtel has Nine available via satellite (SD) or terrestrial antenna (SD and HD), while Kayo doesn't. If you want Nine's feed via the internet you'd need to sign up (for free) to 9Now.

Agree on all the above except latency - it's far closer to broadcast than that (less than 5 seconds) if your NBN RSP has decent ping times

We have Foxtel and Kayo, only have Kayo because my son wants it and we tap into his Netflix, Kayo picture quallity is pretty poor if your used to HD foxtel..

Agree on all the above except latency - it's far closer to broadcast than that (less than 5 seconds) if your NBN RSP has decent ping times
Over summer was watching cricket on 501HD, my mate was watching it on Kayo and we had about 30 seconds difference with our messages. At home, during the F1 we have the main feed on our TV and the Kayo RaceView on Apple TV - it's at least 10-15 seconds.

We're on Telstra HFC nbn 100/20Mbps. (EDIT: that said, the Apple TV runs off of WiFi but it's UniFi so it should be pretty quick)

Pros and cons for both:

Foxtel (pros):
  • Picture quality (internet video is compressed more than broadcast)
  • More content types
  • Generally more reliable/less interruptions (in good weather as all Fox will be satellite soon)
  • 4K Ultra HD for select Fox League exclusive games (NOT Nine produced games)
  • Mobile support via Foxtel Go or Now, can also watch on desktop or laptop via Watch Foxtel website
  • Less delay than Kayo (generally within a few seconds of live action)
Foxtel (cons):
  • Needs installation and dedicated cabling + equipment
  • Cost (premium package)
  • Won't work in heavy rain or cloud
  • Pay extra per box or room
  • 4K channels have great picture but crap audio in my opinion - for cricket it's acceptable but I find it noticeable with NRL
Kayo (pros):
  • Acceptable picture quality on HD packages
  • SplitView on select devices to keep eyes on other sports
  • Cheap (compared to Foxtel)
  • Can watch multiple screens at once with limited equipment (if your plan supports multi-screen)
  • Can watch on nearly any internet enabled device
  • Can be used anywhere with decent WiFi and data cabling
  • Mobile support via Kayo app
  • Plenty of sporting content, includes most Foxtel sports channels
  • Some other games (such as internationals or local games) shown on Kayo Freebies or for free
Kayo (cons):
  • LATENCY - expect between 30-60 second delay compared to Foxtel
  • Internet - depending on your data plan, this may not be a problem
  • Will buffer if your internet isn't stable and high speed
  • Consumes your data allowance on most, if not all, providers
  • Features not supported on Foxtel boxes for some bizarre reason
  • App can be clunky to navigate
  • To watch on TV, you either need a supported smart TV or appliance (e.g. Chromecast, Google TV, Android TV or Apple TV)
Shared features:
  • Can watch either via internet generally (Foxtel Go has Fox League as well)
  • Similar content availability
  • Fox pre- and post-shows, ad-free games, etc.
Personally, if cost is your only issue, get Kayo. If you have a Telstra or other eligible mobile or home plan you might be able to get a good monthly discount too.

If you want the best viewing experience that won't fall apart if you need to reset your router, Foxtel is still the better experience. Also, you could put your TV and Foxtel box on an uninterruptible power supply and know as long as you have satellite service you can watch the footy, instead of having to worry about your routers, computers and NBN.

In terms of NRL content, both have about the same content available - Kayo is essentially an affiliate of Foxtel through Streamotion (who run Binge as well). Kayo Minis are shown on 502 as well, but what's cool with Kayo is that generally the full live broadcast is available on demand, where Fox League only tend to show 60-90 minute edited replays.

EDIT: Should mention Foxtel has Nine available via satellite (SD) or terrestrial antenna (SD and HD), while Kayo doesn't. If you want Nine's feed via the internet you'd need to sign up (for free) to 9Now.
Thanks Broncobuster, that’s a comprehensive summation.
Much appreciated.

Kayo if you have decent internet speeds. Not many problems at all

We have Foxtel not just for the League but we like the movies, documentaries and a few other things. So we get a lot out of it albeit at a cost.

Cheers

Yeah, there’s a pretty massive grey area in ‘HD’ when it comes to streaming (when you factor in compression tech).

Would love a 4k stream of the NRL (even though that also has a variety of output realities) - at or below about a $19 a month price point. Might even be willing to pay on a game by game pricing model (like a pay-per-view pricing structure) if the price point was right.

I’m borrowing family Kayo access.

It isn’t HD, but it works, and the ‘start live’ or ‘start from start’ function is brilliant.

I usually start 10-15 mins in and then I can scrub through any nonsense delays/half time to be back live by game end.

Great if you get stuck making dinner or doing something just prior to game start.

Fix has the same thing

I had Foxtel platinum for 15 years. Used to pay $120 a month for it and then see it advertised for new subscribers for half that. So for a few years I used to ring them and threaten to cancel every 12 months and then go through the whole process of waiting for customer service to ring me back before the cancelation date and match the new subscriber price. Then Kayo came along. Now I have Kayo, Disney plus, Netflix and Amazon for far less than what Foxtel used to charge and occasionally I switch one of those for Stan or whatever if I don't think I'm getting value.

No BS, cancel if and when you want (I generally cancel Kayo once the footy season is over) and I'm not missing out on anything. Actually, with Amazon prime you get free deliveries on anything you order through Amazon and you also get access to Amazon music as well so I actually think I'm way in front.

I will never go back to Foxtel again

I had Foxtel platinum for 15 years. Used to pay $120 a month for it and then see it advertised for new subscribers for half that. So for a few years I used to ring them and threaten to cancel every 12 months and then go through the whole process of waiting for customer service to ring me back before the cancelation date and match the new subscriber price. Then Kayo came along. Now I have Kayo, Disney plus, Netflix and Amazon for far less than what Foxtel used to charge and occasionally I switch one of those for Stan or whatever if I don't think I'm getting value.

No BS, cancel if and when you want (I generally cancel Kayo once the footy season is over) and I'm not missing out on anything. Actually, with Amazon prime you get free deliveries on anything you order through Amazon and you also get access to Amazon music as well so I actually think I'm way in front.

I will never go back to Foxtel again
Yes, I do the ‘rate review’ dance with Foxtel every 6 months when they try to squeeze out an increase…..it’s the same deal…..they send a message saying your next bill will look different….of course it would if I sat back and copped the massive increase. I threaten to cancel…they dilly dally and when it gets to the disconnect team they say…..oh you’ve been a customer for many years how about we hold the increase back for another 6 months. Repeat that every March and September.
I think next time I’ll take it all the way.

It frustrates me that there are so few paying options. I have Kayo but watch zero other sports and hardly watch any other RL matches apart from Souths. Not interested in Foxtel and would prefer not giving money to Newscorp, but no option. Wish there was an option just to watch Souths matches.

Latest posts

Back