• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Foxtel, Kayo or FTA only ?

Gazman

Grand Master
Reaction score
What is the consensus, I’ve had Foxtel for eons but wondering if Kayo would suffice at much less cost.
What are the pros and cons of Kayo or do most of us just take whatever 9 dishes up and supplement that with attending Souths games live ?.

I’m borrowing family Kayo access.

It isn’t HD, but it works, and the ‘start live’ or ‘start from start’ function is brilliant.

I usually start 10-15 mins in and then I can scrub through any nonsense delays/half time to be back live by game end.

Great if you get stuck making dinner or doing something just prior to game start.

And when I say it’s not HD, it’s fine, just not the super clear image you get off a 9HD signal.

If the option is there, I’ll watch the 9Now coverage rather than Kayo, just because I don’t care for the Foxtel commentary.

What is the consensus, I’ve had Foxtel for eons but wondering if Kayo would suffice at much less cost.
What are the pros and cons of Kayo or do most of us just take whatever 9 dishes up and supplement that with attending Souths games live ?.
Kayo is great. Has the same as Foxtel basically except for the sky racing channels which is a bit of a let down. If you don’t like horse racing, jump on Kayo.

I’m just a bit concerned about Kayo being reliable, I would lose my cool if it buffered or cut out mid match. Is that something that happens from time to time, rarely or never ?.

And when I say it’s not HD, it’s fine, just not the super clear image you get off a 9HD signal.

If the option is there, I’ll watch the 9Now coverage rather than Kayo, just because I don’t care for the Foxtel commentary.
You can select hd or standard when you sign up.

I’m just a bit concerned about Kayo being reliable, I would lose my cool if it buffered or cut out mid match. Is that something that happens from time to time, rarely or never ?.
Had it for over 12 months and nor one dropout in that time.

Should be good mate, I got it after the 60-8 game and never had any buffering issues. My phone and home internet is Telstra.
PS I've watched the 60-8 game about 25 times so I think I've got my money's worth 🙂

Streaming services are pretty reliable these days. If there’s an issue it’s more likely to be a problem with your internet connection.

Ive had pay tv since Optus Vision, and only this month did I cancel and have Kayo now.

I have the kayo app on the LG tv and its the same deal.

Once you get used to not flicking with a remote control, its fine.

A smart tv so you can use the Kayo app, a good internet connection, preferably a large screen tv, and select HD when you sign up is all you need. The picture is crystal clear.

Plus there is a heap of other sports available.

Streaming is always going to be a lower quality than broadcast TV because of lower bitrates at the same resolution. Shouldn't really be noticeable though from a regular sitting distance.

As long as you're on NBN50 or higher with a decent provider and connect your TV/streaming device via ethernet (or have solid wifi) you should have zero issues.

P.S. your best bet would be to keep Foxtel, sign on for Kayo for a 14 day free trial, then use it for a weekend to see how it goes for you. If it gives you strife it's cost you nothing.

I’m swimming against the tide here.

I had Kayo and Binge and then went back to Foxtel…cause it was about the same amount of money for the Foxtel package I chose as it was for the separate subs to Kayo and Binge (and I had a huge fight with Binge about the fact they were charging me but the deplatformed me and said it was my fault).

The picture quality with Foxtel is higher than Kayo I find. And I had the HD Kayo package, with a 100g down broadband link (which equated to ~80g).

But I’ll probably go back when Foxtel puts their prices up again…which they will.

Latest posts

Back