• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Feels Familiar

CrashCrapenter

Reaction score
Rightio, I know we’d all rather the team was going well, we’ve become used to a certain level of success over the last 15 years or so!
But does anyone else feel like, in body, where we’re at at the moment feels weirdly familiar and comfortable in a sort of nostalgic way?
Like back in the days when you’d wear your Souths gear with pride, even though they were running last or whatever, because we’d rather support Souths running last than anyone else?!

Nope.

I hate every second of what we have become and it's one of the most cringe worthy periods of our recent history.
Agree. Back then we were poor, unprofessional, and uncompetitive. Now we're not poor, but we've become unprofessional and uncompetitive despite access to resources.

It's one thing to be stuck in a rut because of economic circumstances. It's another to stupidly place yourself there (says a loyal idiot who proudly wears his Souths gear, even though we're running last).

We've become the type of club we hate - no passion, no effort and taking cheap shots.

Taane Milne should never be given a first grade cap again based on his tackle yesterday - if we had a spine, we'd be way harsher than the MRC. That's just not on.

I've seen a lot of losses and big ones at that - I can't even watch any more. It just hurts too much and I sat through 66-0. We have a group of players that are not only not representing us the Rabbitoh way, but are actively destroying it. The Sharks game looks like the exception rather than the rule.

JD's time is over, our premiership window is closed and we're not only back to square 1, we could actually be worse off than we've been for 15 years or more. If we don't perform on the field, we can easily find ourselves back in the dark days - we don't have a leagues club to prop us up and we are solely dependent on private owners who will not accept having a poor return on investment.

After 20 years, it's time for a big change. Heads have to roll and we need new leadership in the back office, front office and locker room.

Milne has no brain, the guy just refuses to learn.

Agree. Back then we were poor, unprofessional, and uncompetitive. Now we're not poor, but we've become unprofessional and uncompetitive despite access to resources.
I actually think part of the problem is that we’ve become too professional, or more specifically corporatised. We run our club, and play the game, as if we are trying to manage everything. We have forgotten that rugby league is a street fighter game that needs mongrel to be successful.

I actually think part of the problem is that we’ve become too professional, or more specifically corporatised. We run our club, and play the game, as if we are trying to manage everything. We have forgotten that rugby league is a street fighter game that needs mongrel to be successful.
I dunno. You look at the Storm who, like many successful overseas sports clubs, are very corporatised. So maybe we have the wrong kind of corporate people. Maybe they don't understand that you need a football dept that realises footy is a high intensity/impact sport and that players need to be prepared accordingly?

I'm sure Solly and JD are nice blokes, but they aren't Ponisi or Bellamy.

But honestly, who knows what's gone amiss....feels like everything at the moment from the way we're playing and the BS rhetoric the coach is spewing out every week.

I dunno. You look at the Storm who, like many successful overseas sports clubs, are very corporatised. So maybe we have the wrong kind of corporate people. Maybe they don't understand that you need a football dept that realises footy is a high intensity/impact sport and that players need to be prepared accordingly?

I'm sure Solly and JD are nice blokes, but they aren't Ponisi or Bellamy.

But honestly, who knows what's gone amiss....feels like everything at the moment from the way we're playing and the BS rhetoric the coach is spewing out every week.
Bellamy isn't corporate. Bending your opposition's body into a pretzel every tackle isn't corporate. Melbourne might have corporate in the backroom but definitely not in the football department. Well, expect maybe Cameron Smith, but he's one of a kind.

Bellamy isn't corporate. Bending your opposition's body into a pretzel every tackle isn't corporate. Melbourne might have corporate in the backroom but definitely not in the football department. Well, expect maybe Cameron Smith, but he's one of a kind.
Yep. That's why I separated corporate management from footy dept. We seem to be warm and very fuzzy across the whole organisation. Just a bunch of good blokes between those 4 walls.

IMHO we are either a couple brave decisions from being back in the top 8 next season or one poor decision that will see us languish outside the 8 for some time to come.

If the club goes soft and only removes JD not much will change particularly long term.

But if they decide to be ruthless and go after successful candidates from successful systems no matter the cost, this can be turned around quickly

It’s now all down to the billionaires

IMHO we are either a couple brave decisions from being back in the top 8 next season or one poor decision that will see us languish outside the 8 for some time to come.

If the club goes soft and only removes JD not much will change particularly long term.

But if they decide to be ruthless and go after successful candidates from successful systems no matter the cost, this can be turned around quickly

It’s now all down to the billionaires
Last time we were in a similar position we did clear house from memory so I’d say Rusty wouldn’t be afraid to do it again. The issue is there is 3rd owner? From memory it was only him and Packer when they made the big changes post Madge

Rightio, I know we’d all rather the team was going well, we’ve become used to a certain level of success over the last 15 years or so!
But does anyone else feel like, in body, where we’re at at the moment feels weirdly familiar and comfortable in a sort of nostalgic way?
Like back in the days when you’d wear your Souths gear with pride, even though they were running last or whatever, because we’d rather support Souths running last than anyone else?!
I’ll know the feeling when I start to look forward to the Charity Shield as our de facto Grand Final.

Yep, I was actually thinking about this today too! We’ve become all style and no substance!

Back