• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Dead last

raider

Reaction score
Asides from anything else it should be absolutely astonishing to everyone that we fell this quickly.

It's actually really difficult to go from where we were to dead last but we managed to do it.

The only canary in the coalmine sounding the alarm about the oncoming cliff was booted back to England because his words were too harsh.

If I know the suits at our club as well as I think I do, they will sack JD if we get smashed by the Sharks next week due to it being the bye round.

More time for logistics and PR.

If we win, he continues.

If we lose by 2, he might continue.

But we are dead last. In a dog fight. And we have been in this form for nearly 12 months now.

Shockingly difficult, to be honest. I don't think you could achieve that even if you tried.

If you sent in an agent from the Roosters with the mission to absolutely collapse the club from the inside as head coach, I don't think it'd have gone this quickly and smoothly.

To be fair if the ladder was broken up in to the first half and second half of the season we probably would have been dead last last year too so we haven't really dropped much further down

Worst thing was signing bennett and only giving him 3 seasons when he wanted to keep coaching, he should have be re-signed.

Then handing JD the coaching role.

Then getting rid of Reynolds which meant we were no longer a top 4 team, no longer had the best kicking game and changed to the worst kicking game in the league

Barely making a mark in recruitment for several seasons but rewarding the current squad and under achievhers new contracts, Cooks being the worst re-signing.

JD not improving any player that he has coached, allowing players like Trell, Cody and Cook to run the show, go unpunished for poor performances sets a bad look and favoritism. If things are being said behind closed doors than obviously the players aren't listening.

Trells short comings at fullback are now exposed by every team in the NRL, before it was only a handful of good teams that knew but now they all know how to exploit it and he can no longer play in that position, he isn't a fullbacks asshole because he refuses to put the hard work in to be one.
You defend the guy and then he does shit like he does today and makes you look like a fool.

Wrong people got sacked last year and who knows what they did the off-season because it wasn't about getting fit or being in shape, it wasn't improving our defence or footy in general? Training reports each week you hear the following, lots of dropped ball. Why?

I could cop us being shit when i was a kid growing up, we were broke, poorly run club with park football team sides but to be this shit now is probably the lowest I've been supporting the club, it's embarrassing, you don't even want to watch them play it is that bad.

Trying to be mr nice guys of the league when we are probs top 4 in the most hated clubs these days does **** all for us on the field

Asides from anything else it should be absolutely astonishing to everyone that we fell this quickly.

It's actually really difficult to go from where we were to dead last but we managed to do it.

The only canary in the coalmine sounding the alarm about the oncoming cliff was booted back to England because his words were too harsh.

If I know the suits at our club as well as I think I do, they will sack JD if we get smashed by the Sharks next week due to it being the bye round.

More time for logistics and PR.

If we win, he continues.

If we lose by 2, he might continue.

But we are dead last. In a dog fight. And we have been in this form for nearly 12 months now.

Shockingly difficult, to be honest. I don't think you could achieve that even if you tried.

If you sent in an agent from the Roosters with the mission to absolutely collapse the club from the inside as head coach, I don't think it'd have gone this quickly and smoothly.
Mate, we have an agent from the Roosters. He plays fullback. Very badly mind you.

The leadership team said this would never happen again.

That the bad old days were behind us forever.

That they needed our FINANCIAL support to become members.

But look where we are....

Rusty - make some decisions!!!!

I mentioned in another post when RC bought his share of the club I was anticipating ( over time) we would end with a club like Penrith. Everything they do is right, lost lots of good/great/ rep players and still going strong . They keep producing and keep good young talent they actually produce something.
Our model is stroke their ego's , paid them big bucks , then sit back and watch them not perform , then the suits say " they are developing " .
Very disillusioned supporter, there is " something wrong" down at HQ and it is NOT being adressed. Our forwards simply " don't have it" and our backs are " average" and get exposed regularly.
Taas gave away 2 stupid penalties, 1 which led to a try......Just a dumb team.

Lack of leadership and accountability on and off the field, you can't expect Murray to control Walker, Mitchell or Cook when the coach or the management can't.

Cook should have been shopped around after the 2019 loss to the Raiders while they looked at Api, Reynolds kept on for another couple of years and some big powerful wingers signed.

It's now cruisy for the players at Souths especially the higher paid, all of them happy to take the coin no matter their performances and the rest of the squad follows suit as they know JD is weak as piss when it comes to his so called stars.

OK, so, if you read enough of my dribble on here you know I'm not one to make excuses. There's no acceptable reason at all for the rubbish we've dished up so far in 2024. Especially defensively. Zero excuses.

We're last because we suck, and we're last because our draw has been awful. They both are true.

I hate the draw. Like despise it. All these efforts to crack down on stuff to make it as level a playing field as possible, yet the draw imbalances everything and no-one ever talks about it. Let's take the opening 9 rounds as an example.

From Rounds 1-9, we play the teams who in 2023 finished:

1st - Panthers
2nd - Broncos
3rd - Storm
4th - Warriors
6th - Sharks
7th - Roosters
12th - Sea Eagles (who are much improved)
15th - Bulldogs

It's about as tough a draw as you can get.

Meanwhile, in the same time period, the Dolphins, who are flying high, play:

2nd - Broncos
5th - Knights
10th - Eels
11th - Cowboys (twice)
14th - Titans
16th - Dragons
17th - Tigers

Now this isn't to say that the results would be any different had we had an "easier" draw. In fact, the tough draw has probably brought the issues to light much quicker instead of dragging the chain further down the line.

But the fact remains that there has been a concerted effort by the NRL to play the "big" games early on in the season to maximise crowds while the weather is good - this is fact, not my opinion. I mean, the results are speaking for themselves in that the NRL is breaking crowd records left, right, and centre.

However, being one of the "big" clubs means that every year we have to play 2 games against other "big" clubs - Roosters, Broncos, Storm, Panthers, etc. It sucks and in seasons like 2023 where we miss out by 1 game, it matters.

Meanwhile "small" clubs like the Sharks get a rails run every year.

If having a crap 2024 does anything for us, hopefully it gives us an easier draw in 2025 to help shoot us back up the ladder.

We are off the bottom.

Thank heavens for the bye

Who would have thought my trip to the Goldy to see the boys play this year would be a battle for the spoon 😂

Latest posts

Back