• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Damien Cook

i thought when cook went off and mamo came on we did play better up the middle although he did do some silly things

I don’t agree we looked any better but thats neither here nor there.

54 points against us is the issue.

Everyone needs to be careful of confirmation bias.

Mamo’s first 5 minutes in the game were appalling.

But he did get us playing more directly and was able to get us the momentum we needed.

We appeared to lose that momentum / directness when Cook came back on.

But as Capt said, there is no point arguing about the deck chairs on the Titanic…the ship not only hit an iceberg, but then backed up to make sure it was well and truly ****ed.

Our middle is atrocious. I get we are missing Tatola and now Shaq, and it was Jai’s first game back, but we lacked any punch at all.

And as I’ve already said elsewhere…our edge defence was high school quality…it was that bad.

Saw Cook trying to hold a Storm player around the chest while another Souths player had stopped his progress, Storm player just off loads to another Storm player which I think lead to a try.

For someone earning his salary you would expect Cook would have the brains to lock the ball in to prevent the off load, as with many in the team and the coach he just doesn't have football smarts.

It’s both sides of the ball for everyone but Cook makes 50 cuddles a week and he is often present in a tackle when the ball is offloaded.

He isn’t a thinking hooker and often allows calls to override his ability to play to the correct side. He requires someone calling the shots rather than counting himself. He is more likely looking over his shoulders than assessing the defensive line whilst waiting for a play the ball.

Mamo has some defensive shortcomings as well and is young.

My problem is value for money. Cook is in our top 4 or 5 paid players I’d guess and most of the time his performances are in the 8th or more mark. Value just isn’t there anymore….

Last edited:
As everyone knows I have not been a rap for Mamo, based on what I've seen so far.

However, credit where it's due. In some ways yesterday was about the best I've seen him play, despite a couple of bad moments.

Was very quick in scooping up the ball from dummy half and going forward and getting the team moving.
I admit we seemed to be playing a little more direct and quicker when he was on.

As I have said many times I hope he proves me wrong, and yesterday he started to make me see a bit more in him. Made a couple of nice little runs as well.

Hopefully I will be totally wrong about him and he becomes a top class NRL hooker.

Pete is a newcomer in NRL as is Hawko,they both may develop into quality players.They may not too!
I saw Pete running from DH solely to set up Moale,this is good play which he does in State Cup.
It’s unfair to rubbish the young blokes as ruthlessly as some are doing.
Cookie is past it and should be told so,JD should resign and take half the team with him.ITSTIME to go!
I thought the same of Cody but last night he was trying hard and did well.
Our pack are unfortunately a pack of pussies waiting for pay day with nil fire in their bellies.Idiotic selections aren’t helping either!

Everyone needs to be careful of confirmation bias.

Mamo’s first 5 minutes in the game were appalling.

But he did get us playing more directly and was able to get us the momentum we needed.

We appeared to lose that momentum / directness when Cook came back on.

But as Capt said, there is no point arguing about the deck chairs on the Titanic…the ship not only hit an iceberg, but then backed up to make sure it was well and truly ****ed.

Our middle is atrocious. I get we are missing Tatola and now Shaq, and it was Jai’s first game back, but we lacked any punch at all.

And as I’ve already said elsewhere…our edge defence was high school quality…it was that bad.

Mamo seems to be a bit poor to start a game but then he snaps and starts to play. I put that down to nerves and trying to adjust to NRL's speed of the game.

But as you said, in the end we looked much better with the ball when he was playing 9.

That is why he should be in the side over cook and should play 80 mins because having the both of them won't work.

But because i say that or if anyone says that they act like you talking up mamo to be the next best hooker in the comp who will go on to play for Australia and NSW etc

No not what I'm saying or have ever said, I've been saying we should sign JMK if we are able to get Bennett.

Mamo gets picked because Cook is washed now, simple as that.

Pick your best players, Cook is no longer our best number 9, that is our far he has gone backwards, his fanboys need to let go and stop thinking about his 2018 form thinking he will play like that again.

We score 3 tries in 10 mins with Mamo having us go forward and then JD puts Cook back on FFS

No point putting a second hooker on the field when your team is down by 20 to 30 points each game.

Both their defensive games are probably pretty equal atm

You also got to remember when comparing, you're comparing a player who has only played around 10 games of NRL and most of those games coming in to depleted sides due to SOO or has now come into a side that is playing like a wooden spoon side but their are people putting shit on him despite not having a real decent crack of being our hooker.

Compared to a player who is about to play 200 games and also played for NSW and Australia and played in sides that were top 4 quality.

Last edited:
Mamos defence was a concern for me last night, but the biggest difference is its clear to see he is a true hooker and not a manufactured one.

If you have a proper hooker they are paramount in allowing your forwards to get a roll on. Mamo was doing that last night in a well beaten team.

Mamos defence was a concern for me last night, but the biggest difference is its clear to see he is a true hooker and not a manufactured one.

If you have a proper hooker they are paramount in allowing your forwards to get a roll on. Mamo was doing that last night in a well beaten team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_215226_NRL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_215226_NRL.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 14
With the injuries we have for long periods I think we leave the 2 hookers. I want to see Pete start and Cook come from the bench.

Pete does seem to grow as the game goes on. But he also has some obvious defensive issues. He isn’t the 80 minute hooker just yet. Not sure if he will be.

Everyone is obviously a very astute judge.

No idea how you could watch the train wreck that is this side and make accurate calls on who does what and belongs where.

It’s like scoring a boxing match in a sandstorm.

Defence can be improved, the whole teams defence was shithouse.

This year is a good opportunity to give Pete some game time and see if he has what it takes.

Back