• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Damien Cook

We should trial Cook at fullback, Gray at halfback and Trell in the centres.......we have nothing to lose at this point.

Controversial opinion here - Bennett made Cook worse by trying to make him something he's not.

He was the best "run first" hooker in the game until Bennett tried to turn him into a ball player.

When he just ran from quick play the balls and had people tailing him he was unstoppable.

The set restart era hasn't been kind to him. Players are more willing now to not stand square and cut down his space, knowing that they'll only concede a restart instead of a penalty.

If he is indeed coming off the bench again, he needs to be told to "just run".

Tell me how many of those you have named played multiple years in representative level? You can criticise his performances for us. But don’t try and downplay his rep selections.

While we are at it he was able to perform at that level constantly for many of those games.

Oh and I don’t get this he can’t pass bullshit. When on he has one of the best long cut out passes from dummy half.

Thats your opinion.

I think youre absolutely wrong though.

Re passing - Ask Benji Marshall what he thinks of Cooks passing (in)ability

He was the Bradbury of hookers.

Has plenty of pace, but is not a team player. Plays like an under 6, and tries to run around everyone. His one and only break this year, just after halftime against Bulldogs, resulted in nothing. Bombed another one.

Mamo made a similar break in reserve grade that day, drew the fb and we scored under the posts.

Agreed

Thats your opinion.

I think youre absolutely wrong though.

Re passing - Ask Benji Marshall what he thinks of Cooks passing (in)ability
So Benji Marshall had a dig at him at training once and you use that? I’ll use my eyes in what I see. Nothing wrong with his long cut out passes.

I want you to watch closely all hookers like you do with Cook and tell me which one of them doesn’t have poor passes in them. You’ll be shocked to see the results.

I also don't think it's Cook's shortcomings that are the issue anyway.

Harry Grant is the most rocks & diamonds hooker in the NRL. Does some incredibly stupid and poor stuff. But his diamonds make up for it.

I don't care about Cook's passing game. But his running game, his diamond, has evaporated and it needs to come back otherwise what's the point?

I want you to watch closely all hookers like you do with Cook and tell me which one of them doesn’t have poor passes in them. You’ll be shocked to see the results

Good suggestion but hell will free over before they do 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

So Benji Marshall had a dig at him at training once and you use that? I’ll use my eyes in what I see. Nothing wrong with his long cut out passes.

I want you to watch closely all hookers like you do with Cook and tell me which one of them doesn’t have poor passes in them. You’ll be shocked to see the results.

Ok heres a question

Where does Cook rank in your opinion with current hookers?

Name those better than him

JKM gave a master class on how a hooker should play last week.

How he draws in the markers giving his forwards space, knows when to run or pass.

If Bennett does coach us next year, hope he brings him to Souths.

Cook has never been great at engaging the markers at the play the ball. You'd think he would've spent time looking at footage of Smith and Api. He has never really evolved in the position. Yes he has played multiple positions but has he really tried to master the art of dummy half? I don't think so.

The only attribute he possesses is speed and seriously how frequently do we see that in a game these days? Also his ability to make 50 tackles It is not often, any DH can make 50 tackles. Cam Murray has the quickest play the ball in the league and I'm sure you'd be able to count on 1 hand how many times Cook runs off the back of him. He can't kick long can hardly put in a grubber into the in goal. He does know how to throw multiple crash balls in a row.

Wouldn't it be great to see Cook right on the try line dummy to his forwards and hit a barnstorming Latrell Mitchell. Just like Isaac Luke hitting GI. I can only reminisce on what was.

Cook has never evolved as a dummy half end of story. Whoever in the football department signed him to a long term deal should also walk once JD is sacked.

Last edited:
Tell me how many of those you have named played multiple years in representative level? You can criticise his performances for us. But don’t try and downplay his rep selections.

While we are at it he was able to perform at that level constantly for many of those games.

Oh and I don’t get this he can’t pass bullshit. When on he has one of the best long cut out passes from dummy half.
This is precisely the point Kempy. When was he last 'on'?

Ok heres a question

Where does Cook rank in your opinion with current hookers?

Name those better than him
A pointless exercise that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. His form is well down now. We all know that.
This is precisely the point Kempy. When was he last 'on'?
Nothing to do with his rep career that some just seem to want to downplay it.

Back