• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

daRque

Master
Reaction score
As recently as 1965 black fellas not allowed to drink in some bars.

We have improved a little bit, but still so much work to do.

1709061514292.png

Last edited:
Dangerous waters yes but i might just dip a toe in here.
Yes and alcohol related violence is up to 20 times higher for aboriginal women, and overall is the main reason for the so called "health gap", its also a driver for much of the crime , property destruction and personal injury in first nation communities.

#########
Rationale
Aboriginal Australians experience a disproportionately high burden of alcohol-related injury and violence compared to the general population: alcohol-related violence is 6 to 9 times higher for Aboriginal males and up to 6 to 20 times higher for Aboriginal females, compared to the general Australian population. Injury and violence are two main contributors to alcohol-related mortality among Aboriginal Australians, which is a main contributor to the overall health gap between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians.
Nearly 60 years on and the same issues are being discussed.

Yes and alcohol related violence is up to 20 times higher for aboriginal women, and overall is the main reason for the so called "health gap", its also a driver for much of the crime , property destruction and personal injury in first nation communities.

#########
Rationale
Aboriginal Australians experience a disproportionately high burden of alcohol-related injury and violence compared to the general population: alcohol-related violence is 6 to 9 times higher for Aboriginal males and up to 6 to 20 times higher for Aboriginal females, compared to the general Australian population. Injury and violence are two main contributors to alcohol-related mortality among Aboriginal Australians, which is a main contributor to the overall health gap between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians.
This thread is to highlight the proven racism of the past, and how nearly 60 years later the same issues are ongoing. This is for people who are not comfortable supporting such blatant racism as not allowing people to go into a cafe or bar purely because they are black.

It's not hard to grasp, this is what the thread is for.
Can you understand the topic and why it's been raised?

If you're not interested in discussing the actual topic, which clearly you're not, can you refrain from replying and not be the cause of having yet another thread closed that is about an important issue.

Everyone knows your opinion on indigenous people, we really don't need to read all your racist BS again.

Leave the thread for those who are not comfortable with blatant racism.

Totally irrelevant and not related to the topic.
The Freedom Ride was 60 years ago and highlights blatant racism, that's the topic.

#########
Rationale
Aboriginal Australians experience a disproportionately high burden of alcohol-related injury and violence compared to the general population: alcohol-related violence is 6 to 9 times higher for Aboriginal males and up to 6 to 20 times

Again, see above.

higher for Aboriginal females, compared to the general Australian population. Injury and violence are two main contributors to alcohol-related mortality among Aboriginal Australians, which is a main contributor to the overall health gap between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians.

Back on topic.......

What astounds me is that in 1965 we had the Beatles, Elvis, space exploration, massive industrialism, international sport, an active and visible monarchy, yet, we still, at the same time as all that modernisation of society, felt we had the right to ban black people from cafes and bars based purely on their skin colour.

How did we allow such a contradiction in societal standards?

It honestly does my head in.

But you see it very relevant, we have the same today from the NT govt with alcohol restrictions , i have always said it is 100% racist to restrict one group of people from buying alcohol but sadly its 100% necessary, and look away and deflect if you want but alcohol is a massive problem for first nations people.
Totally irrelevant and not related to the topic.
The Freedom Ride was 60 years ago and highlights blatant racism, that's the topic.

Again, see above.

But you see it very relevant, we have the same today from the NT govt with alcohol restrictions , i have always said it is 100% racist to restrict one group of people from buying alcohol but sadly its 100% necessary, and look away and deflect if you want but alcohol is a massive problem for first nations people.
Again, not the topic and you are taking it off topic deliberately.

I'll repeat, the topic is proven racism in our recent history.
It's not about alcohol, or crime stats, are you totally incapable of grasping a simple topic?

If you don't want to discuss the topic, please don't reply.

Wow, this article is very revealing.

I didn't know all this about Whitlam, I guess I was a little young at the time.
I skipped this article but will read it in full later.

Something everyone should read.

The fact the NT govt has restrictions on alcohol sales aimed at FN people based on race is exactly in line with the topic , but ok i see what your after and i leave you to it.
Again, not the topic and you are taking it off topic deliberately.

I'll repeat, the topic is proven racism in our recent history.
It's not about alcohol, or crime stats, are you totally incapable of grasping a simple topic?

If you don't want to discuss the topic, please don't reply.

#########
Rationale
Alcohol and the associated violence is more to do with poverty and hopelessness in a community that has had a couple of centuries of discrimination. Generational under or unemployment and incarceration. It's not going to be fixed in a generation.

The fact the NT govt has restrictions on alcohol sales aimed at FN people based on race is exactly in line with the topic , but ok i see what your after and i leave you to it.
I don't think there were booze restrictions in 1965 on The Freedom Ride.

What part don't you get about the actual topic?

Again, if you can't grasp the topic, please don't reply.

So FOS, oh so the topic is now the "Freedom ride"? the fact NT has race based alcohol laws is exactly the topic, and who was it that had multiple threads closed down with your teary rants?, yes you, but now you get on your stool and only want posts that mirror your personal guilt trip?, like i said i know what your doing and i will leave you to it, there was no need for your last post.
I don't think there were booze restrictions in 1965 on The Freedom Ride.

What part don't you get about the actual topic?

Again, if you can't grasp the topic, please don't reply.

Alcohol and the associated violence is more to do with poverty and hopelessness in a community that has had a couple of centuries of discrimination. Generational under or unemployment and incarceration. It's not going to be fixed in a generation.
The scary thing is, have we made any progress at all?

In 1965 on The Freedom Ride it was shown there was blatant racism, in 2024 we still have self righteous white people saying they would not rent a property to an Aboriginal based purely on their race.

No entry to cafes, no entry to bars, no property rentals, not much has changed.

Some attitudes have changed without doubt, but is it a widespread shift? I am not convinced it is.

Latest posts

Back