• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Trial: Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles

Callmack1

Staff member
Reaction score
Yooohooooooo!!! Footy is finally back baby!! It feels pretty surreal to say that as we finally have a proper game to prepare for and look forward to this week after a long pre-Season. It's the first game of the year, the first trial match, so it's always exciting to see that Red and Green back out there on the paddock in a proper game.

We take on Manly on Friday night up there in Gosford. hard to get a gauge on what sort of a game it will be until the line ups come out but it's the first trial for both teams, so I don't expect many, if any, regular first graders to be named. We'll give all our young guys, fringe first graders and guys that have something to prove a hit out in this one I imagine. I'm picking that Manly will do the same. That's what generally happens with all teams in their first trial.

Really excited to open our account for the year and really get the show on the road. I'm particularly excited to see some of our young fullas getting a run. We have a great crop coming through and they're finally going to get a chance to strut their stuff and show us what they're made of in a proper trial game.

Of course, it's a Pre-Season match so the result really doesn't matter but I gotta say, it would be nice to get a win that's for sure. We also have the extra added spice of the Pre-Season challenge this year which I guess could make a win more important, but I can't see us focusing on that too much. Business as usual in terms of how trials are normally handled.

Pumped for it that's for sure!! Let's get it!!

We think we have a fairly set 17 for round 1, and I’d assume we don’t see any of those guys this week. Plus Knight is injured and Milne is suspended.

Looking at who’s left from the 30, non SG Ball devs, train and trials, and NSW Cup contracted I’ve got:

Backs
Kalo Kalo
Te Hau
Karapani
Kennar
Hodge
Robinson
Gagai
Hawkins

Forwards
Moale
Mamouzelos
Suluka Fifita
Cartwright
Chee Kam
Duncan
Gale
Lovett
Peoples
Giles

Last edited:
We think we have a fairly set 17 for round 1, and I’d assume we don’t see any of those guys this week. Plus Knight is injured and Milne is suspended.

Looking at who’s left from the 30, non SG Ball devs, train and trials, and NSW Cup contracted I’ve got:

Backs
Kalo Kalo
Te Hau
Karapani
Kennar
Hodge
Robinson
Gagai
Hawkins

Forwards
Moale
Mamouzelos
Suluka Fifita
Cartwright
Chee Kam
Duncan
Mitchell
Gale
Lovett
Peoples
Giles
You may see Munro get a game as well.

And there's another back that's been mentioned in despatches but I can't remember his name for the life of me.

Do we think the likes of Mellars and Munro (who have been training with the top squad) get a run even though they have an SG Ball game?

Isn’t that basically half the SG Ball season? No doubt he will be moved up to Flegg.
Yeah, I mean, add four weeks for finals, but essentially. It’s a 9 week comp isn’t it?

Agree, I see Mellars, Munro, Gray, Fletcher, Le Blanc and maybe even Towns all playing Flegg post the SG Ball comp finishing (or them being ruled out of a finals chance).

The Manly trial will be interesting. Has JD decided that picking four props and four backrowers will be enough given that Arrow, Koloamatangi and Murray all play plenty of minutes? If that's the case he'll want to give all the fringe contenders a run. In the backs I think we have one open position (Tass might be challenged later in the season by one of the up and comers but for now he'll start) - so again the contenders will be given a chance. Will he play a utility in the 17 or opt for an extra forward?

When the season starts I'd favour picking nine forwards leaving room for a younger outside back on the bench - this might be Karapani or Kalo Kalo who could be given a taste of the top grade i that match.

Anyway I can't wait.

Cheers

I hope People’s gets back on track. He showed some real promise last year till something went awry.
Did he really show real promise? Looked and played like a NRL reserve grader to me

Back