• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The Clubapocalypse

raider

Reaction score
This club is arrogant to the core subconsciously, but the stats don't lie

Since JD was appointed first team coach, our regular season record reads:

24 W 19 L

Both seasons we have lost more games than Wayne ever did.

Waynes overall record:

48 W 16 L

Somehow this is considered fine and dandy because... we're building the wall, we're wearing Aussie Tour t-shirts, and we're singing if you're happy and you know it. The culture is grand! The boys are loving life, they're bonded don't you know? We're walking through the local areas in the middle of the night, we're laughing at training and bonding like a family, so this slip is totally fine.

But are we performing as an elite football team? The actual goal of the organisation? Eh, who cares, lets go play some more AFL at the start of every training just to have a bit of fun with the fellas (yes they actually do this).

In 2021, the Glory Bound documentary was being produced every month. Providing us a fantastic, thematic storyline throughout the season. The club were actually communicating with the fans, we were building something special, and it's like they themselves believed it was all going to come together that year. It nearly did, we failed by two points in the end. It was sad, but it was incredible. We also had constant Rehab Reports and excellent media pieces released, the club were professional on and off the field. What has changed since then?

Well, as our record has gone backwards, as we decided to flog Reynolds off because Taaffe and Ilias were too good to lose, we scrapped all of those things. Instead we get Switching Lanes with Tom Burgess or ****ing Hostys Game time. Little things like this matter, we went from almost achieving everything this group of players ever wanted, to literally shutting it all down because it's as though even the club believe the window has closed.

We're deluded as a team. This is not the record of a team that can win it all. We just look back at the last half a decade of consistent prelims and think we are too big to fail. But we are failing, quietly and perniciously, this failure is creeping up on us.

On the positive side, we've moved to a fantastic high performance center. We have our own website now away from the clunky NRL domain. We've signed a massive marquee in Jack Wighton and have a good crop of talent coming through spearheaded by the refreshing Tyrone Munro and Talis Duncan. So Is 2024 the year where we realise we're ****ing South Sydney and stop ****ing about on the field? Where we stop resting players constantly for the slightest of issues because we arrogantly don't give a shit about any football played unless it's September? Where Latrell actually puts a full season of games together (he has only played half the games ever since he signed) and isn't held to a different standard in terms of training?

Behind the scenes we are massive, but for all that success, our on field standards are not high enough. I love this ****ing club, I hate being the best at basically everything except winning Premierships.

I agree with your sentiments, there is a definite arrogance in both club and players, we as fans can never feel confident in this team as they are so inconsistent it hurts!

we dropped the ball when we never signed a ready backup half after Kodi signed for dolphins. I thought Taafe would be our backup half however he has never been given that chance in the last two years and Hawkins will never be NRL winning standard.

24 W 19 L

Waynes overall record:

48 W 16 L

Somehow this is considered fine and dandy because... we're building the wall, we're wearing Aussie Tour t-shirts, and we're singing if you're happy and you know it. The culture is grand! The boys are loving life, they're bonded don't you know? We're walking through the local areas in the middle of the night, we're laughing at training and bonding like a family, so this slip is totally fine....
Sadly, IMHO there's a lot of truth in what you say here.

24 W 19 L

Waynes overall record:

48 W 16 L

Somehow this is considered fine and dandy because... we're building the wall, we're wearing Aussie Tour t-shirts, and we're singing if you're happy and you know it. The culture is grand! The boys are loving life, they're bonded don't you know? We're walking through the local areas in the middle of the night, we're laughing at training and bonding like a family, so this slip is totally fine.

But are we performing as an elite football team? The actual goal of the organisation? Eh, who cares, lets go play some more AFL at the start of every training just to have a bit of fun with the fellas (yes they actually do this).

In 2021, the Glory Bound documentary was being produced every month. Providing us a fantastic, thematic storyline throughout the season. The club were actually communicating with the fans, we were building something special, and it's like they themselves believed it was all going to come together that year. It nearly did, we failed by two points in the end. It was sad, but it was incredible. We also had constant Rehab Reports and excellent media pieces released, the club were professional on and off the field. What has changed since then?

Well, as our record has gone backwards, as we decided to flog Reynolds off because Taaffe and Ilias were too good to lose, we scrapped all of those things. Instead we get Switching Lanes with Tom Burgess or ****ing Hostys Game time. Little things like this matter, we went from almost achieving everything this group of players ever wanted, to literally shutting it all down because it's as though even the club believe the window has closed.

We're deluded as a team. This is not the record of a team that can win it all. We just look back at the last half a decade of consistent prelims and think we are too big to fail. But we are failing, quietly and perniciously, this failure is creeping up on us.

On the positive side, we've moved to a fantastic high performance center. We have our own website now away from the clunky NRL domain. We've signed a massive marquee in Jack Wighton and have a good crop of talent coming through spearheaded by the refreshing Tyrone Munro and Talis Duncan. So Is 2024 the year where we realise we're ****ing South Sydney and stop ****ing about on the field? Where we stop resting players constantly for the slightest of issues because we arrogantly don't give a shit about any football played unless it's September? Where Latrell actually puts a full season of games together (he has only played half the games ever since he signed) and isn't held to a different standard in terms of training?

Behind the scenes we are massive, but for all that success, our on field standards are not high enough. I love this ****ing club, I hate being the best at basically everything except winning Premierships.
I genuinely expect that to improve to 29 - 19 by season's end. Even we drop a game it will still be 28 - 20.

I don't think that's anything to write home about but it will look a bit better. 58% under JD, 75% under Wayne.

Cheers

I don't think we'd be spitting the dummy so much had we collected points off the roosters, Darg-ons, dishlickers and Raiders. Really, we should be on 32 points not 24.

I don't think we'd be spitting the dummy so much had we collected points off the roosters, Darg-ons, dishlickers and Raiders. Really, we should be on 32 points not 24.
Agree but our depth has been found sorely lacking.

Penrith lose players to Origin and injury and dont miss a beat, winning games still.

We lose a few players and get beaten by cellar dwellars.

Agree but our depth has been found sorely lacking.

Penrith lose players to Origin and injury and dont miss a beat, winning games still.

We lose a few players and get beaten by cellar dwellars.
I thought our depth in the forwards held their own early in the season. It is when we lose backs that it starts to go wrong.

Especially Cody in the halves. He plays in the games against the Dragons and Dogs I have no doubt we win both those games.

He almost single handily won the game against the Raiders. We could have done with Campbell that game. It was that right edge that cost us.

I'm disappointed that we lost those games to weaker teams but I was hardly surprised. The real killer losses were in round 2 and 3. Even if we'd just beaten the Storm the ladder would look a lot better for us.

Cheers

I'm disappointed that we lost those games to weaker teams but I was hardly surprised. The real killer losses were in round 2 and 3. Even if we'd just beaten the Storm the ladder would look a lot better for us.

Cheers
I’m not sure losing to the Panthers at their home ground could be considered a killer loss. The other 2 though I’m with you. Especially round 3 when you look at the stats.

What the Panthers are doing for the third year in a row should piss everyone off.

That's the standard. We're not going to get there in some weird unique 'time the run' way. The way to get to the top is emulate what they are doing. Not their playstyle, their ruthless winning mentality.

The fact we are instead going backwards should upset the entire club.

The losses to the Dragons and Dogs are inexcusable and were culture/coaching/attitude losses.

We scored enough points in both games to win.

Our attitude/approach in defence was appalling (and has been for 2 months).

Even with 6-7 guys out you’re only at players 23/24 in your top squad. We have a good enough squad to win games against bottom sides in those circumstances and we didn’t.

It’ll be up to the coaching staff to look at that over the off season and figure out why those guys weren’t ready/capable to get the job done when they were asked to.

Those two losses are the difference between 9th and 4th currently.

I’m not sure losing to the Panthers at their home ground could be considered a killer loss. The other 2 though I’m with you. Especially round 3 when you look at the stats.
Sorry I got mixed-up with the draw - I meant the games against the Roosters and the Storm.

Cheers

On Friday night we yet again put ourselves to bed!

Back