• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 17: Rabbitohs v Knights

RabbitJ

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
callmack1 said:
As good as that game against Parra was, it's now time to start looking towards the next clash, a game against the Knights out there in Newcastle. Another super important game for us in the context of our Season because we need to go on a run, and we have a tough draw for the remainder of the year. With respect to Newcastle, this is probably one of the easier games out of those ones so it's absolutely vital we walk away with the two points on Friday night. Plus, we don't want to be a 'one hit wonder' with regards to that performance last week. We need to go out there in Round 17 and back it up, build on it and get some momentum. Crucial game.

Newcastle haven't had a great year to be fair. They started really well but then fell away and have been towards the bottom of the ladder ever since. They have been struggling for a number of reasons. However, they had a great win last week and showed some real glimpses so I'm sure they'll come into this one with a lot more confidence than they would have previously. They are capable of beating us if everything goes right for them. Significantly, they'll be missing Ponga and Gagai due to Origin commitments but they're still gonna have guys like Best, Young, Milford, Klemmer, Saifiti and Frizell so there's still some real danger there. It will be a challenge I think, certainly not an easy win as some may think.

I just don't want to see any sort of complacency from the boys. We're going to be a bit depleted too as we'll be missing our Origin players, Cookie, Cam and Jai. We may also be without Nicholls and Sele of course so all of these are big losses which probably drags us back closer to the Knights and ensures that this will actually be a real test. We are not in any sort of position to take them lightly. last week was so good and we need to continue to improve. We completed well in tough conditions so I want to see us do that again. The boys also made some big strides in defence and our defensive structure so that must continue as well. If we play decently, then I do think we'll be too strong for Newcastle but if we're a bit off, with the guys we'll have missing, it could become a challenge. So we'd better be on!!! Play with the passion and desire we played with against Parra!!

Important week, important game! Looking forward to it.

For the first time this season I’m actually confident that our backline will be our strength compared to the opposition. With our forward stocks being Origin and injury impacted we will look a bit thin……JD will have to do a bit of magic wand waving to fill the holes but I still expect that we have enough class to overcome the Knights. Really looking forward to seeing Tass continue on from the form he showed last round.

For the first time this season I’m actually confident that our backline will be our strength compared to the opposition. With our forward stocks being Origin and injury impacted we will look a bit thin……JD will have to do a bit of magic wand waving to fill the holes but I still expect that we have enough class to overcome the Knights. Really looking forward to seeing Tass continue on from the form he showed last round.
I'm expecting Tass to explode over the next few rounds.
I just hope we can keep him.

I agree with Gazman - our backline looks good. Paulo is where he should be but I am really impressed with the potential of Tass/AJ on the other side. Throw in Latrell and Cody and we have our lethal left edge back. It's a very depleted pack for this week - a lot might depend of whether or not Nicholls plays. But Havili can cover hooker/dummy half and a prop rotation of Burgess, Tatola, Moale and Shaq isn't too bad. We might find ourselves with Chee Kam, Milne and Lovett in the back row. In that case Koloamatangi will have to stand up and be counted.

Cheers

I think Havili needs to start hooker and have Nikorima off the bench. Here is hoping Nicholls is right to go. Having both he and Tatola start with Moale and Burgess off the bench would be a great rotation.

Milne and Lovett could also come in. I wonder if his game for Fiji might convince JD to pick him at lock? Milne can also cover second row as well.

Shame about Mamouzelos. Would have been much better having him available. That way we could have had Havili start lock.

I don’t know if Chee Kam is up to it yet. Didn’t look all that good the other night. Is Cartwright available? I know he didn’t play the other night. Someone did say he was put on report the other week. Maybe it’s just a suspension rather than an injury.

I reckon Milne would handle second row pretty capably. His main problem in the backline is positioning in defence and getting caught out when an overlap is developing. He looked ok in the forwards in the Fiji vs PNG game.

Maybe Saluka Fifita will come into the side for us this week? Just got a release from the Roosters to join us affective immediately.
I hope he does. I reckon we need him this weekend.

FRIDAY

Newcastle Knights vs South Sydney Rabbitohs 7.55pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Last week’s Knights team:
1. Tex Hoy 2. Edrick Lee 3. Dane Gagai 4. Enari Tuala 5. Dominic Young 6. Anthony Milford 7. Adam Clune 8. David Klemmer 9. Chris Randall 22. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Kurt Mann 10. Jacob Saifiti 14. Simi Sasagi 15. Leo Thompson 16. Mathew Croker 19. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

Team Tips: Knights coach Adam O’Brien said there is a “big chance” injured duo Bradman Best (elbow) and Jayden Brailey (Achilles) will return for this clash. Jacob Saifiti has been picked in the Blues squad but will be available for this one.

Last week’s Rabbitohs team: 1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Alex Johnston 19. Isaiah Tass 4. Campbell Graham 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 17. Hame Sele 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray 10. Mark Nicholls 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Thomas Burgess 16. Siliva Havili

Team Tips: The Rabbitohs hang onto Latrell Mitchell after he made himself unavailable to be considered for the Blues. Hame Sele went off with a hamstring injury last week and Mark Nicholls failed an HIA. Taane Milne was dropped to 18th man before kick-off and Isaiah Tass moved into the centres and performed well. Zane Bijorac is scheduled to be available for selection.

In the spirit of playing against Newcastle, being able to post photos and with all the rain I bring you a blast from the past just to get you warmed up.
It won't work as the files are too big it says. Can anybody help?

Taane did a pretty reasonable job at lock during the rep round.

Could be an option that he comes into the forward rotation.

Good news for us, is that our backline should be unchanged…which is exciting.

In the spirit of playing against Newcastle, being able to post photos and with all the rain I bring you a blast from the past just to get you warmed up.
It won't work as the files are too big it says. Can anybody help?
Hi chelseabree,

Are you able to let me know how big the files are? Alternatively, are you able to use an image host?

Cheers

Campbell Graham has a fractured cheekbone by the sound of it. Taane Milne, come on down!

Back