• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

RIP Terry Hill

RIP Terry.

He was one of the original characters of the game, before social media and the 24 hours news cycle.

Larger than life, and I’m pretty sure he had a pretty good time during his playing career!

RIP Terry

Huge part of my childhood watching the Footy Show

And similar to my sentiment towards Jim Dymock, always wanted Tezza to do well at Manly because he was a Souths junior

I think Terry had a greyhound that Fatty Vautin used to love chanting ‘Go nads’, the dogs name was Nads.
Didn’t Terry get pinched for stealing lobsters from lobster traps somewhere down the south coast ?
He was some sort of character.

Then there was this

Annette Sharp: No tribute for ‘thug’ NRL player Terry Hill from his victims​

Tributes flowed for ex-NRL player Terry Hill following his death last week, but no one mentioned the incident that saw him branded a ‘thug’ by a magistrate, writes Annette Sharp.

The tributes for retired rugby league player Terry Hill were unequivocally positive and generous following his death last week. But notably missing from the gushing tributes were any sentiments from his two ex-wives, Tracey Benson and Kristie Fulton, daughter of league legend Bob Fulton.
In a week in which violence against women has been a hot topic of discussion, this column feels compelled to recall Hill’s un-manly record.
In 1995, Hill was branded a “thug” by a magistrate who found him guilty of assaulting radio producer Anthony Twiss and schoolteacher Peter Krahe after the two men, upon seeing Hill pulling his first wife Benson’s hair during an argument outside the Woollahra Hotel, intervened.
Both men were rewarded by being knocked to the ground by one of league’s toughest players who was an acknowledged streetfighter (as were his father and grandfather before him) and battered with a series of kicks to the body.
All the while the men claimed Hill shouted: “She’s my f..king sheila. I’ll treat her any f..king way I want.”

Benson stood by the 23-year-old football player, her partner of six years, at the time, but they later separated.

Hill was fined a piffling $1000 and put on a $400 two-year good behaviour bond for his actions.

And the ARL showed its colours and commitment to penalising violent players of the code by overlooking the charges.

Instead of benching Hill, ARL chairman Ken Arthurson rewarded him by sending him on the 1994 Kangaroo Tour of England.

As the campaigning begins anew to penalise violent men, it’s the courage of Twiss and Krahe that should be acknowledged and held up as the example and not the famous footballer the court accused of “thuggery”: Hill.

Back