• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I've got a new rash

I said and have repeated it, i would be hesitant to rent to an aboriginal that i didnt know,
Stop lying, that's not what you said at all, here is your first quote, you never mentioned having to know them, you made a very clear statement against renting to aboriginals as a race.

QUOTE:

bluedog said:
well honestly how much of that Bias was earned?, if i owned a rental property i would be very very hesitant to rent to an aboriginal family, and if you think that is racist then everybody i know is racist, or is it just that Bias was earnt by trashing houses rented to them.

So you'd be hesitant to rent to Cody, AJ, GI and the like.

Oh you want facts sorry, so they make up just 2% of the adult population but make up 28% of our prison population?, Nothing to see here folks!, Unless your blind.
#######################
Indigenous Australians are both convicted of crimes and imprisoned at a disproportionately higher rate in Australia, as well as being over-represented as victims of crime. As of September 2019, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners represented 28% of the total adult prisoner population, while accounting for 2% of the general adult population (3.3% of the total population). Various explanations have been given for this over-representation, both historical and more recent. Federal and state governments and Indigenous groups have responded with various analyses, programs and measures.
Can’t help myself.

The stats you present are absolutely correct.

The conclusions you are drawing on the other hand…

It should be seen as a national shame that we incarcerate our indigineous population at many times the rate that we incarcerate non-indigineous.

It was the point I made many pages ago, as Andy did, which is that the indigenous community is over policed (this is incontrovertible fact, as reported in many research papers including by the Qld, NT, WA and NSW police forces).

That institutionalised racism amongst Police Officers (particularly in Qld and the NT) was a key reason for the high incarceration rate of indigenous children over non-Indigineous kids.

That there needed to be significant improvements in prevention and diversion. That high levels of community involvement in policing would make significant differences to incarceration levels. And that making sure kids got an education, and were well fed made a difference.

Countless reports have proven that where this has been adopted the incarceration rate has dropped dramatically and education levels (children finishing school and getting some form of qualification) has dramatically improved.

The issues you point to are inter-generational and will take generations to improve / eradicate.

Entrenched attitudes are hard to dislodge.

The reports spoke to this as well. Including terminating officers with ingrained institutional racism, rather than try (in vain) to educate them.

No worries Gerg, its a 2 edged sword its human nature for people to get an inclination based on what they see, if the aboriginal people did a little more to help themselves it would start the ball rolling and others may pile in wanting a better life as well, i hate the attitude of many on the left that more or less says " no its all our fault and you dont need to do anything", that helps nobody.
You left out woke, pinko, communist and cultural Marxism.

I really appreciate the way you've thoughtfully engaged with the information provided that suggests that, just maybe, there might be more to Indigenous disadvantage than you think.

Sorry but we dont force them to drink, or steal, or commit violence , the national shame is all on them, they need to be accountable for their behavior, its up to them, your making excuses for criminal behavior.

Can’t help myself.

The stats you present are absolutely correct.

The conclusions you are drawing on the other hand…

It should be seen as a national shame that we incarcerate our indigineous population at many times the rate that we incarcerate non-indigineous.

It was the point I made many pages ago, as Andy did, which is that the indigenous community is over policed (this is incontrovertible fact, as reported in many research papers including by the Qld, NT, WA and NSW police forces).

That institutionalised racism amongst Police Officers (particularly in Qld and the NT) was a key reason for the high incarceration rate of indigenous children over non-Indigineous kids.

That there needed to be significant improvements in prevention and diversion. That high levels of community involvement in policing would make significant differences to incarceration levels. And that making sure kids got an education, and were well fed made a difference.

Countless reports have proven that where this has been adopted the incarceration rate has dropped dramatically and education levels (children finishing school and getting some form of qualification) has dramatically improved.

The issues you point to are inter-generational and will take generations to improve / eradicate.

Entrenched attitudes are hard to dislodge.

The reports spoke to this as well. Including terminating officers with ingrained institutional racism, rather than try (in vain) to educate them.

As i posted before, if GI or Cody or AJ needed to rent a home they must be blowing the cash on drugs, ie irrelevant and you make no point.
Stop lying, that's not what you said at all, here is your first quote, you never mentioned having to know them, you made a very clear statement against renting to aboriginals as a race.

QUOTE:

bluedog said:
well honestly how much of that Bias was earned?, if i owned a rental property i would be very very hesitant to rent to an aboriginal family, and if you think that is racist then everybody i know is racist, or is it just that Bias was earnt by trashing houses rented to them.

So you'd be hesitant to rent to Cody, AJ, GI and the like.

No worries Gerg, its a 2 edged sword its human nature for people to get an inclination based on what they see, if the aboriginal people did a little more to help themselves it would start the ball rolling and others may pile in wanting a better life as well, i hate the attitude of many on the left that more or less says " no its all our fault and you dont need to do anything", that helps nobody.
You left out woke, pinko, communist and cultural Marxism.

I really appreciate the way you've thoughtfully engaged with the information provided that suggests that, just maybe, there might be more to Indigenous disadvantage than you think.
What a shock @Gerg - the poster doesn’t get irony.

Further shock…doesn’t get subtly or context or nuance either.

It must be wonderful to live in a world where you know you're right and everyone else is wrong.

No sorry i got it just chose to play a dead bat, look you have to understand, i dont care what you people think, i believe i am right and i believe the majority of Australians would think the same, Billions of dollars goes down the same drain hole every year for zero change and not much effort from their side, you make out their crimes are our shame, what complete rubbish, tell that to the terrorized residents of the towns affected.
What a shock @Gerg - the poster doesn’t get irony.

Further shock…doesn’t get subtly or context or nuance either.

It must be wonderful to live in a world where you know you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Sydney's Aboriginal ghetto to be bulldozed​

• Published
      11 October 2010
The Block in Redfern, Sydney

Image caption,
Many of the houses on the estate are derelict and its open spaces are littered and overgrown
By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney

A run-down housing estate in Sydney that has become a symbol of Aboriginal disadvantage is to be torn down in an effort to revitalise an area that was once at the heart of indigenous political activism.
"The Block", as it is known, began as a bold social experiment in the 1970s.
The government of Gough Whitlam, stung by rising Aboriginal homelessness and discrimination by landlords, bankrolled the purchase of property by indigenous groups in the inner city district of Redfern.
The site quickly became a magnet for Aborigines from around Australia, but was infiltrated and eventually overrun by heroin dealers in the 1990s.

Mick Mundine, the head of the Aboriginal Housing Company

Image caption,
Resident Mick Mundine has been championing the redevelopment for more than a decade
The Block has never recovered. Many of its terrace houses are derelict and its open spaces littered and overgrown.
It stands in the shadow of the proud skyline of central Sydney: the haves and have-nots of Australia's most prosperous city separated by a short walk.

In February 2004, the police were bombarded with petrol bombs by Redfern residents, enraged after 17-year-old Thomas Hickey died accidentally during an alleged police chase.
The disturbances left dozens injured and cemented the Block's violent reputation.
"It is time for changes. This bit of land is like the Aboriginal graveyard. People come here to shoot up, to have drugs. In other words, they come here to die," said Mick Mundine, the head of the Aboriginal Housing Company, who has championed the redevelopment for more than a decade.
"It is time for us to build this new community.
"It is not going to be perfect as everybody knows there is not a perfect community anywhere."
But the demolition could signal a fresh start that could bring to an end the cycle of crime and unemployment.

Deep suspicion​

The final draft has yet to be approved but the plan is to build 62 apartments for indigenous residents as well as student accommodation, a gym and a cultural arts centre.
Tenants with drug-related convictions won't be allowed in.
The area will be renamed The Pemulwuy Project after a celebrated indigenous warrior.
Ray Minniecon, a local pastor, believes the rebuilding will harness the area's unique spirit and provide business opportunities: "It is a delicate balance as to how you maintain your history, your culture, your identity. The ways in which the Block has been redesigned encompasses all those kinds of challenges.
"It gives us for the first time in this country an opportunity to put in place within a city a design that comes from the Aboriginal people, for Aboriginal people."
Dilapidated houses on the Redfern estate

Image caption,
The run-down estate became a magnet for drug users and dealers
The bulldozers could move in within months, and while the transformation of the Block is seen by some residents as a step forward, others view the scheme with deep suspicion.

"It can't stay as it is," says Bruce Ellis. "It is progress and is going to be a good thing."
However, his friend, Peter, is not so sure.
"I was taken from my parents when I was eight. I ran away from that institution and settled on the Block. And for all the different tribes from around New South Wales, this was the meeting place.
"But now with this new redevelopment, that's going to change everything," he says.
Others believe that once the remaining tenants have been moved, the Block will lose its Aboriginal heart forever.
"By the time the redevelopment happens, we are wondering who is going to be housed here," said Margarita Guevara.
"I think they are trying to move our people out of here and create urbanised suburbia for the white fellas."
The Aboriginal Housing Company has insisted that indigenous residents will be invited back when the builders leave.
As one elder told the BBC, the plan to revive the Block will allow the community to pursue "the dream of living an Aboriginal life in a white man's world".

What Does Marginalized Mean and Why Does it Matter?​

by Mary Qualls & the CultureAlly Team

When thinking of the word margin one might consider the margins of a piece of paper. Therefore, when thinking of the verb marginalize one might consider writing in the margins of a piece of paper.
However, the word marginalize has come a long way from its original definition. Today, marginalize refers to the act of treating a person or group as though they are insignificant by isolating and/or disempowering them. The term marginalized describes to the person or group that is treated insignificantly, pushed to the margins of society and rendered powerless.
Red pawn piece is focused & blurred in the back is four colourful pawn pieces grouped together.

Who is Marginalized?​

Marginalized groups include women, people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, Indigenous peoples, people of a lower socio-economic status and so on. These groups have been historically disempowered and oppressed by influential and discriminatory groups.

The Causes of Marginalization​

Marginalization is the result of discrimination. Discrimination exists in many forms, such as racism, sexism, ableism, ageism, homophobia, xenophobia. There are also more subtle forms of discrimination like microaggressions and stereotypes. Whether or not the discrimination is overt or covert, it marginalizes others and that is unacceptable.

Marginalization in the Workplace​

In the workplace, the person or group that perpetuates marginalization is likely one that is influential and holds power. They may have little or no connection to marginalized groups. The person or group that is marginalized are likely disempowered and lack the necessary influence to contest their marginalization.

In the workplace, marginalization can look like the following:
  • Assumptions based on stereotypes
  • Unequal access to necessary resources on the basis of identity
  • Racist speech and actions
  • Purposefully isolating a person or group
  • Singling a person or group out on the basis of identity
  • Microaggressions
  • Gaslighting
  • Taking credit for someone else’s idea or work

Statistics and Data​

• In 2016, between 11%-28% of lesbian, gay and bisexual employees lost a promotion due to their sexual orientation (Center for American Progress)
  • In 2016, 27% of transgender employees were fired, not hired or denied a promotion

Why do you copy and paste articles and links that are transiently linked to the topic of discussion and never provide your own analysis or response to the said links?

As i posted before, if GI or Cody or AJ needed to rent a home they must be blowing the cash on drugs, ie irrelevant and you make no point.
So in your opinion the only reason you can think of why an Aboriginal who is wealthy would need a rental would be drug addiction? Racist stereotyping again?

What about if they owned a house, some black fellas do you know, and they were having a knock down and rebuild, or massive renos?

What about if they were negotiating for a house and needed somewhere to live until full settlement?

Either way, you wouldn't rent to them because they are Aboriginal.

Yeah lots of grand standing and virtue signaling but it all started when i said i would be hesitant to rent to an aboriginal i didnt know personally, they all cried " oh show me the facts" well i posted links to show aboriginals were 14 times as likely to be incarcerated that the overall population, who could blame anybody for being hesitant to rent to them, add that to being up to 20 times more likely to commit violent crime, investment wise it would be a wise call to be hesitant.
21 pages in and I reckon 19 are about the to and thro about rentals

You cant see that was a joke?, they would likely never need a rental, i dont own or intend to buy a rental.
If it was Cody, GI or AJ i would give them a room in my own home short term, and what about you get off your box , i stand by what i posted, you bore that hell out of me with your inuendo , i stand 100% by what ive posted , got it
So in your opinion the only reason you can think of why an Aboriginal who is wealthy would need a rental would be drug addiction? Racist stereotyping again?

What about if they owned a house, some black fellas do you know, and they were having a knock down and rebuild, or massive renos?

What about if they were negotiating for a house and needed somewhere to live until full settlement?

Either way, you wouldn't rent to them because they are Aboriginal.

..?

Why do you copy and paste articles and links that are transiently linked to the topic of discussion and never provide your own analysis or response to the said links?
To make people read, learn, educate themselves and think. Sometimes also to answer a very obvious question with a better answer than any of us can come up with ourselves.

Too many self appointed experts on here me thinks.

Back