• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Is there a reason we don't contest bombs?

Reggy

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to think this is a tactic. Let them catch it then tackle them. Let me tell you it aint working.

I agree. It seems pointless not to contest bombs.

Cheers

I would like to contest the occasional bomb. I assume the tactic is to ensure there isn't open field in front of the opposition winger or fullback but there are certain times where the bomb should be contested.

Also, someone give Jaxon a memo that he is required to defuse opposition bombs please :D

I'm starting to think this is a tactic. Let them catch it then tackle them. Let me tell you it aint working.
You answered your own question. It is a ploy. Kick to the corners and let them work it out.

I do get frustrated with it though. We have seen Jaxson get a couple and score. Why we don’t use Campbell’s height more I’ll never know.

Also, someone give Jaxon a memo that he is required to defuse opposition bombs please :D
I think it’s a confidence thing with Jaxson. He has the ability and has shown that he can do it. But other times he has looked lost. Lee certainly had him worried at times. I’m just glad that he took the one at the end.

I know it wasn’t a great kick but Lee was coming through. He read it well and put himself in perfect position.

You answered your own question. It is a ploy. Kick to the corners and let them work it out.

I do get frustrated with it though. We have seen Jaxson get a couple and score. Why we don’t use Campbell’s height more I’ll never know.
I'm not quite sure why we can't sometimes kick to the corners with a higher effort that we can contest. If we are a long way out I can see the logic (although I still don't agree that we should never add any variety) but sometimes we are close enough to have a contested kick and still pin them down if we don't get the ball (or even score)

Cheers

I would like to contest the occasional bomb. I assume the tactic is to ensure there isn't open field in front of the opposition winger or fullback but there are certain times where the bomb should be contested.

A little harsh J.

I believe you are referring to the one earlier in the game where he waited for Lee to catch it. I think it was more Nikorima at fault failing to wrap the ball up. Lee got the offload away for Best to score untouched.

Don’t forget though, it was Paulo with a very important one that closed the game out for us up against Edrick Lee.

Sorry referring more about defending kicks.

A little harsh J.

I believe you are referring to the one earlier in the game where he waited for Lee to catch it. I think it was more Nikorima at fault failing to wrap the ball up. Lee got the offload away for Best to score untouched.

Don’t forget though, it was Paulo with a very important one that closed the game out for us up against Edrick Lee.
LOL. There was one kick where he didn’t even know where the ball was.

Last edited:
Either way our efforts are poor. Our kick refusal was around 50:50 on Friday night and teams with a good kicking/chasing game will murder us unless there is considerable improvement.

Cheers

Sorry referring more about defending kicks.
I guess it’s a confidence thing.

I also think some players outsmart themselves. They think we will let them contest it and tackle them when they get it.

We aren’t the only team that does it.

Latest posts

Back