• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Guitarists (and general musical conversations)!

What I liked most about the Beatles was their diversity. They could play many styles and play them well. Many of their albums were masterpieces.

A couple of other artists that I put on par were Bowie and Queen. They reinvented themselves many times over.

What I liked most about the Beatles was their diversity. They could play many styles and play them well. Many of their albums were masterpieces.

A couple of other artists that I put on par were Bowie and Queen. They reinvented themselves many times over.
I am a big fan of Bowie, a BIG talent.

Queen I seem to be liking more as I get older for some reason.
Although I did buy buy the Bohemian Rhapsody LP when it came out.

You're right about the Beatles diversity, and their progression was amazing, they went from "Yeah yeah yeah" to Sgt Pepper in such a short period of time, quite incredible.

I am a big fan of Bowie, a BIG talent.

Queen I seem to be liking more as I get older for some reason.
Although I did buy buy the Bohemian Rhapsody LP when it came out.

You're right about the Beatles diversity, and their progression was amazing, they went from "Yeah yeah yeah" to Sgt Pepper in such a short period of time, quite incredible.
Bowie's strength apart from songwriting and his presence was surrounding himself with truly outstanding musicians, Ronson, Eno, Robert Fripp, Nile Rogers, to name a few. Did many styles with ease from folk, heavy rock, funk, and even topped off his career with a jazz album. Not even sure what you'd call the music from the Low, Heroes, and Lodger period? Prog rock maybe?

I loved Queen when I was younger but kind of went off them, only to rediscover them later.

Beatles were amazing. I can't pick a best album, more like a best 5 or so which change depending on mood. We're so lucky growing up in an era of such amazing music.

Bowie's strength apart from songwriting and his presence was surrounding himself with truly outstanding musicians, Ronson, Eno, Robert Fripp, Nile Rogers, to name a few. Did many styles with ease from folk, heavy rock, funk, and even topped off his career with a jazz album. Not even sure what you'd call the music from the Low, Heroes, and Lodger period? Prog rock maybe?

I loved Queen when I was younger but kind of went off them, only to rediscover them later.

Beatles were amazing. I can't pick a best album, more like a best 5 or so which change depending on mood. We're so lucky growing up in an era of such amazing music.
An interesting excercise would be to select say 15 Beatle songs for ONE greatest hits LP. Damn that would be hard.

Might try it one day.

I have been watching the Macca 321. It is interesting how they came up with so many different styles as you say. He said that when they found great fame they began to relax and try different things.
They had a music thing on the show so they could break up the music into each individual instrument. It was amazing how much work they put into 'B' grade ( if there is such a thing for the Beatles) songs.
Even Ringo came up with some great ideas. Half the time they were just playing.

An interesting excercise would be to select say 15 Beatle songs for ONE greatest hits LP. Damn that would be hard.

Might try it one day.
The hard thing about that is the Beatles had so many different styles over the years you would have a real mixture.
The point is to me that some my favorites are not BIG hits but almost 'fillers'
Because, Hey Bulldog, Across the Universe, She's leaving Home.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favourite Beatles albums. Those albums hold up to anything I have in my collection. Queen's first album which was a lot more heavy than anything else they did is my favourite album from them by a stretch. Sheer Heart Attack coming in a distant second. Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album by far my favourite of his and Scary Monsters while not being a great album had a few brilliant songs with Ashes to Ashes and Fashion being two of my favourite songs of his.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favourite Beatles albums. Those albums hold up to anything I have in my collection. Queen's first album which was a lot more heavy than anything else they did is my favourite album from them by a stretch. Sheer Heart Attack coming in a distant second. Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album by far my favourite of his and Scary Monsters while not being a great album had a few brilliant songs with Ashes to Ashes and Fashion being two of my favourite songs of his.
I change between Sgt Peppers, White, Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road depending on mood.

The first Queen album was brilliant as was Sheer Heart Attack (my favourite). Have their first 3 albums.

I can't pick a best Bowie. Ziggy, Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Heroes. The last one Blackstar is worth checking out.

I change between Sgt Peppers, White, Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road depending on mood.

The first Queen album was brilliant as was Sheer Heart Attack (my favourite). Have their first 3 albums.

I can't pick a best Bowie. Ziggy, Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Heroes. The last one Blackstar is worth checking out.
Good to see someone else appreciates the first Queen album. It doesn't usually rate when people are discussing them, but it was definitely heavier than any album after it. I've listened to every Bowie album and yes, he had many superb albums. I've listened to Black Star a few times and did like it, but it's a little morbid for me. Then again, what could we expect from someone who was dying when he wrote it.

Good to see someone else appreciates the first Queen album. It doesn't usually rate when people are discussing them, but it was definitely heavier than any album after it. I've listened to every Bowie album and yes, he had many superb albums. I've listened to Black Star a few times and did like it, but it's a little morbid for me. Then again, what could we expect from someone who was dying when he wrote it.
I got A Night at the Opera when it came out then went backwards to their earlier two. I was surprised how good the first Queen album was but barely rates a mention.
Blackstar needs a few listenings in my opinion. It is a bit morbid though.

I got A Night at the Opera when it came out then went backwards to their earlier two. I was surprised how good the first Queen album was but barely rates a mention.
Blackstar needs a few listenings in my opinion. It is a bit morbid though.
It is true that Blackstar needs a few listens but it is absolutely worth it. A masterpiece, released right at the end! The secret weapon on that album is the backing group, the Donny Macaslin band. A New York jazz group who Bowie liked and got them to play on this record, Yet they don't even sound like a jazz band here - more like a rock or electronica group. Classic Bowie, mixing up the medicine, and coming up with something startling.

It is true that Blackstar needs a few listens but it is absolutely worth it. A masterpiece, released right at the end! The secret weapon on that album is the backing group, the Donny Macaslin band. A New York jazz group who Bowie liked and got them to play on this record, Yet they don't even sound like a jazz band here - more like a rock or electronica group. Classic Bowie, mixing up the medicine, and coming up with something startling.
Yep, the more you listen to it the better it gets. Played it last night again. One of those albums that grows on you.

Not sure if there are any Johnny Winter fans but was listening to a newish album by his brother Edgar called Brother Johnny which is a tribute album playing some of Johnnys best tracks. Joe Bonamassa, Joe Walsh, Dereck Trucks, Billy Gibbons feature on guitar amongst others. Even Ringo plays drums on a track. Well worth a listen. Edgar himself is an amazing multi instrumentalist and great singer. His White Trash album was a classic.

Latest posts

Back