• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

‘Takes I Don’t Get’

Pplspoet

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Feel free to join in - takes you don’t get.

#1 - People against the neutral Origin venue.

Why on earth would you want a situation where one state has an advantage every season??? With the neutral venue, you need to win one at home, and win one either at the neutral venue or at the opposition home venue. What could be more ideal?

I'm with you on that one.

Origin has become the game's premium promotional event. If the game wants to use it to grow the audience eg Perth, Adelaide, even NZ in the future, I'm all for it.

"We should scrap The Bunker"

The issue isn't using video technology, it's the way it's being used. Watch an old game where there is a contentious call and you'll soon realise how beneficial replays are. Even our try in 2021 against the Dogs when Jaxson Paulo scored from in touch is a great example of why we need it.

"Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league"

If an interstate game that really is supposed to be a selection trial for the national side is the pinnacle of rugby league, we need action.

"We need a PNG/2nd NZ/3rd Brisbane/[anywhere other than an Australian capital without an NRL team] team"

We need to focus on expansion within Australia in areas of untapped support. While I'm not certain an Adelaide, Darwin or Hobart could sustain an NRL team, I'm pretty certain based off of the decades of experimentation that Perth can. They got shafted in the "peace deal" as a casualty to make way for Melbourne. They have the facilities and a groundswell of support in the region. Should have pulled the trigger while the Western Force were kicked out of Super Rugby.

"We need less Sydney teams"

The NFL used to have a league in Europe. Where'd that get them? Keep the clubs where the support is - Sydney is a rugby league town, probably the biggest city in the world that is rugby league first. To suggest otherwise is stupid.

"NRL should just focus on the Eastern States"

Similar to above but why arent we aiming to grow the game and take on the AFL in other regions eg Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and make the game popular Australia wide?

Similar to above but why arent we aiming to grow the game and take on the AFL in other regions eg Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and make the game popular Australia wide?
Perth makes the most sense to me. There certainly is enough interest in the game over there. The double header was able to get over 40,000 this year. When we played our games at NIB Stadium we constantly were able to get over 20,000 there. Imagine if they had their own team?

Not to mention the time difference that will be great for TV scheduling. There is a big enough market over there to build on.

“ NRL expansion “

Don’t get me wrong I understand the economics of it.

But

Expansion just for quick broadcasting deals is what brought Rugby Australia undone

Currently there aren’t enough Props, halves or more importantly coaches available to allow the competition to remain stong and attractive to the viewing audience

In NSW the NRL are still continuing to lose ground to the AFL in junior participation. I was informed the other day that one of the major rugby private schools is converting to AFL as they paid them a shitload to do so. Why haven’t the NRL done this or even the Roosters?

They need to get grassroots consistent across the board and clubs who don’t shouldn’t have a license

It’s criminal that South’s Juniors continues to be one of the few major developers of female rugby league but we have continually been overlooked for a licence while the Rorters do sweet FA and reap the promotional benefits from having a WNRL team same goes for men’s

I think a transfer fee should be introduced that any club who doesn’t have over 1000 registered juniors needs to pay $100k for every player they raid from an opponents junior nursery

At the moment it’s a more profitable business model not to invest in grassroots and just pay overs for the best young kids in other systems

We shouldn't only focus on the eastern states, but you can't dispose of them like Super League attempted to do in pursuit of the other regions. AFL will always have bigger support on that side of the Barassi line - doesn't mean we shouldn't set teams up there, just makes it harder since we have to build the infrastructure from scratch while the AFL (via the SANFL, WAFL, etc) have already got that in place.

"We need a PNG/2nd NZ/3rd Brisbane/[anywhere other than an Australian capital without an NRL team] team"

We need to focus on expansion within Australia in areas of untapped support. While I'm not certain an Adelaide, Darwin or Hobart could sustain an NRL team, I'm pretty certain based off of the decades of experimentation that Perth can. They got shafted in the "peace deal" as a casualty to make way for Melbourne. They have the facilities and a groundswell of support in the region. Should have pulled the trigger while the Western Force were kicked out of Super Rugby.

"We need less Sydney teams"

The NFL used to have a league in Europe. Where'd that get them? Keep the clubs where the support is - Sydney is a rugby league town, probably the biggest city in the world that is rugby league first. To suggest otherwise is stupid.
I agree. Rugby league in Australia was built on the power and attraction of the Sydney teams. International football did have a lot of attraction and used to pull big crowds but the passion was in the club football. South Sydney was and is still a major part of that. The challenges between Souths and Easts for example stir passion that does not exist anywhere in club football in Australia other than the AFL for the same reason.
You could think of having two comps. The Sydney teams in one and the rest in another. The winners play off in a super GF. The problem with that is the 'rest' would most likely gurgle down the drain.

Why on earth would you want a situation where one state has an advantage every season??? With the neutral venue, you need to win one at home, and win one either at the neutral venue or at the opposition home venue. What could be more ideal?
I have no problem with the neutral venue but it should only be used for game 3 of the series.

It's ridiculous that the neutral venue is allocated to game 2 which means that either NSW or QLD don't get a home match until game 3 of the series (when the series may have already been decided)

Last edited:
people
who go
watch jebediah live and are born on the 12 th november. disgusting!

I agree. Another plus is the neutral venue does take the game to a new audience outside of the Sydney/Brisbane orbit.

What do the Roosters contribute to the League?

Absolutely nothing.

Latest posts

Back